Talk about a delicious, rich tomato soup that is as healthy as it is creamy! This recipe will make enough for leftovers that will last the week. The soup is prepared in a crockpot and is made using herbs, tomatoes, Roman cheese and chicken broth. It can be served as part of the main meal and also enjoyed with a variety of other foods such as garlic bread, corn bread or kids personal favorite: grilled cheese sandwiches!
What you’ll need:
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs thyme
- ¼ C of fresh basil
- 1 C of finely chopped carrots
- 1 C of finely chopped onions
- 28 ounces of whole, ripe and plum tomatoes
- 1/3 C grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus an optional cheese rind
- 2 Tbs butter
- 3 1/2 C of reduced sodium chicken broth
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Pour the tomato juice into the crockpot and place on the low setting. Crush the tomatoes and add them to the cooker. Add the vegetable broth as well as the chicken pieces. Finally, add the cheese, basil, thyme and other spices.
Cover the soup and let it cook for a couple of hours. After about 5 to 6 hours, the flavors will blend nicely and the vegetables will get soft. Remove any cheese rind in the soup and then blend until smooth.
Subscribe to blog via RSS