Recently we’ve cut the amount of TV our kids are watching to one show a day. So far this has been a boon to our family, except for one problem.
On Mondays and Fridays Will, my 5 year old is home with me in the mornings, and trying to get work done while helping him entertain himself has been a bit of a challenge. I still haven’t hired a mother’s helper yet (I know!). I have allowed him to watch an extra show in the morning, which buys me an hour, but the rest of the time, I don’t have the TV to babysit him anymore. Here are a few things I’ve found that keep Will occupied.
- Michaels has some kids crafts that are only a dollar, and they can keep him occupied for about 20 minutes.
- The bath tub. Will loves to play in the tub. Of course this suggestion won’t work for younger kids, but if your child is old enough to spend a few minutes alone in the tub, it can be a life saver, especially during a conference call!
- Pouring some flour on a baking sheet, and letting him draw. Yes, it’s messy, but it does keep him occupied for a long time. Especially if I have him practice printing the alphabet.
- Coloring books, the old standby! He can do his work, while I do mine..
- Playdough, another old standby.
- Kids books on tape. He loves listening to the stories, and to save money, I check them out of the library. You can also pick up used ones at garage sales, or on eBay
Do you have to work with little ones around? How do you keep them entertained?
Subscribe to blog via RSS