Weekend style: A how-to

Categories: beyond 9 to 5

It’s Friday, which means a weekend of kid activities and errands. It also means a weekend of yoga pants and tees, because why bother getting dressed if you’re just going to be grocery shopping and watching soccer, right?

Wrong. There’s no reason to use the weekend as an excuse to look like a slob. It is entirely possible to be stylish and comfortable at the same time. Even on the weekend. Even with kids.

br-otf-out19402odv01

It’s time to redefine weekend wear. The first step is to stop making excuses for your slovenly weekend look. You might find, in fact, that taking the time to get dressed for whatever is on the schedule — soccer tournament, grocery shopping, kid birthday party — makes actually doing that thing a little more fun.

The secret to being both stylish and comfortable on the weekend is to think about the details. There’s nothing wrong with a basic jeans-and-tee silhouette — it’s kid-friendly and easy to wear — but don’t stop there. Add a great necklace or pair of earrings, or a bright scarf, or a simple belt. Don’t overdo — one accessory is plenty, particularly if it’s something striking. Or choose pieces with some embellishment, like the ruffled tank pictured above (from Banana Republic). Still an easy piece to wear, but more interesting than a plain tank.

I love these looks from Banana Republic, not so much because there is anything special about the pieces themselves, but because I appreciate the way they are styled. These are basic pieces — sweaters and tanks and tees — but the addition of a statement necklace or a scarf or a belt changes the whole silhouette. An essential weekend uniform — jeans, tank, sweater — becomes a style statement with just that one detail.

br781293-01vliv01br769737-00vliv01br769734-01vliv01br769722-02vliv01

These are all looks that you could recreate with things you own; they are all looks that are appropriate for a trip to the grocery or a kid birthday party or a two-day soccer tournament. These looks are comfortable and casual but not slovenly. They’re perfect for the weekend.

Your turn: what’s your weekend look? Are you making an effort, or have you given up?

• My usual weekend look is a dress with a statement necklace and flats. For some reason, I reserve my flat shoes for the weekend. Since it is still hotter than Hades here, no jeans for at least a month. I do love th epink sweater you featured. I may have to add another pink sweater (I have a hot pink cardi and a short sleeve sweater now).

elz  |  September 10th, 2010 at 6:07 am

• Yay! Thank you for posting this. It’s exactly the way I feel about how I dress on the weekends, making an effort but still trying to be comfortable running errands with my daughter. It really is possible!

Melissa  |  September 10th, 2010 at 10:55 am

• Love it! I found myself window shopping online yesterday and thought, never mind, I’ll just wait and see what “she” [you] find! Such great ideas, thanks for taking the hard work out of it!

Susanna  |  September 10th, 2010 at 10:59 am

• Can you please do a post on nursing tops for work and for weekends? It feels like so many of the styles that are available are just not fashion friendly (or if fashion friendly not wallet friendly).

Brittany  |  September 10th, 2010 at 5:06 pm

• I make an effort for sure, but I don’t go crazy about it. For example, I often wear chino pencil skirts and fitted tees and scarves and cute ballet flats on weekends, but today I am spending the day freelance writing, changing bed linens, and taking my 4 and 6 year olds to a town carnival, so I’m wearing an easy knit charcoal gray knee-length skirt from Target (much like your “yoga pants equivalent of a skirt”) and a long-sleeved white tee. It doesn’t get much more casual than that. In my defense, I did put on a (small) necklace, some earrings, and cute dotted skimmers. And I have a bright bag to take along when I go out later.

For me, winter is the time when I am forced to give up. Where I live, winter means many feet of snow and below-zero temps. We all live in jeans and snow boots. Believe me, there is no way to make that look stylish.

Shannon  |  September 11th, 2010 at 8:14 am

• Scrubs and nice jeans to work get pushed to the back of the closet on the weekends when it time for sundresses and capris. My 3 year old daughter is more likely to wear cute sundresses and if I ante up first!

Jennifer  |  September 12th, 2010 at 12:13 pm

• Simple and Cute! There are no excuses (Ill keep telling myself)

Megan Champion  |  September 15th, 2010 at 5:50 am

• Look #1 of the montage (with a longer-sleeved sweater) is my signature for the winter. I just don’t jewelry on the weekends unless it is an outfit for church.
    Because if I have to dress up all week, sometimes I don’t see an issue with an unadorned tee & jeans for the weekend.

Mich  |  September 15th, 2010 at 8:35 am

• I love those four looks. This post made me think of weekend-outfits and jewellry. Many weekends (or somedays during the week when I work from home) I hardly see anyone except my family (the boyfriend I’m living with or visiting my parents) and for some reason I hardly ever wear jewellery if I’m not going to be “seen” by “other people” - other people apperently being everybody besides my immediate family. I never thought of that before, and really it makes me think .- aren’t the people in my life, the people I love and care for the most, aren’t they worth a little “dressing my best” for? I have days when I stay in my PJs the entire day, sure I do and I know my boyfriend think this is cute and that my family doesn’t judge me based on my clothes… but why not play a little dress up just for them? Or just for me, when I’m working from home?

I have decided, from this very moment, that tomorrow (when I am working from home) that I will dress up. Not for “the public” but just for me. Thank you for a post that strangely enough turned out to be a little “food for thought”. ;)

Lina  |  October 14th, 2010 at 12:01 pm

• Love the weekend wear look. It’s the one I use virtually everyday! Thanks for sharing some fun ideas.

Melody Granger  |  December 6th, 2010 at 9:51 pm