Hi, I am Nataly and I am the co-founder of Work It, Mom!
I write the daily Work It, Mom! Blog where I talk about issues affecting working moms, goings on in our Work It, Mom! community, new site features, updates,and contests. I also share my own juggle between work and family and love to see members jump in with comments. Come and visit often!
Nataly's profile on Work It, Mom!
As I was going through the Sunday night routine of getting ready for the week I was also thinking about what I’m going to blog about for my Monday Work It, Mom! post. I try to make Monday posts about something useful (vs. say being just a rant, like this one.) So when I read this post by a fellow entrepreneur I was inspired to share with you some of the small things I do that make my crazy life as a working mom a bit easier.
- I write everything down. You’ll never find me without some type of notebook and pen. I have tons of them. I have notebooks for BIG ideas, a notebook for my daily to-do list, a daily working notebook to jot down ideas, directions, and later to-dos I come up with, a small notebook in my purse to write down something I need to remember if I am away from my desk, a notebook in the kitchen for the shopping list… Yes, I’m a bit obsessive, but writing things down helps me remember them and more than that, to have comfort in the fact that I know if something is important, I must have written it down… somewhere.
- I continuously declutter. I try to not keep things we don’t need and to reduce the amount of paperwork in the house. My recent rule (which I learned here at WIM!) is to only touch a piece of mail once and then decide whether it’s to be recycled, put in the bills folder, or filed. If I can get my husband to cooperate, I think this will be another small victory against .
- I try to schedule one day per week without meetings. This isn’t always possible, but I aim for it. Having one day to be in my office and to be fully 100% productive gives me the chance to complete projects that take a lot of time and concentration and is also a great cushion in case I am behind on calls, emails or other to-dos for the week. Just knowing that I have this day makes me less anxious.
- I cook Monday’s and Tuesday’s dinner on Sunday night. My goal is to get this done by 8pm on Sunday so that my husband and I can also hang out and watch a movie before the crazy work-week begins. So far, I’ve reached this time goal just a few times, but even if I’m cooking at 10pm on Sunday, having dinner ready the day before makes the beginning of the week much less stressful. (Often Sunday night cooking involves my true life savior–the slow cooker. If you’ve not discovered this working mother’s helper yet, do it. NOW!)
- I try to do a few things I dread early in the day. The phone call I don’t want to make, the contract I don’t want to work on, the email I can’t figure out how to write–I try to do at least one unpleasant and nagging task early in each day. That way, it doesn’t hang over me and make me anxious and less productive during the day.
What about you? What are some things, gadgets, habits, or rituals that make your life easier as a working mom? Please share in the comments!
Subscribe to blog via RSS