What I envy in other moms

Categories: Just For Fun, Your life

I know envy is bad, I do. But it’s kind of like butter — I know it’s not healthy, but I can’t help but indulge at times.

So here are some things I envy in other moms:

Easy-goingness. I know it’s not a word, but you know what I mean. Moms who have this great ability to just roll with the punches and not get completely and utterly stressed out by all the work-life juggle insanity. Like your kid spilling milk on your new pants when you’re ten minutes late for an important meeting and the sitter calls in sick. (Not like that’s happened to me or anything…)

Confidence in their choices and decisions. People think of me as someone who is very decisive and confident, but I just put on a really great act. I question almost all of my decisions, a lot, especially when they involve my daughter. I hate this quality and very much envy others who don’t seem to have it.

Super-duper arts and crafts ability. I’m in awe of some of the moms in know who come up with the coolest-ever creative projects to do with their kids. I love that type of stuff.

Multi-tasking prowess. I can multitask but it completely wears me out. When I am cooking and my daughter is playing nearby, I inevitably burn something or ruin a dish eventually. I was visiting a friend recently who managed to talk to me, cook, and feed her daughter at the same time, without flinching. Wow.

What do you envy in other moms? C’mon, share, otherwise I will feel lonely and juvenile in my envy.

• Calm - I always feel like the one that sticks to the schedule for the kids and family and then I see laid back Mom walk by and feel like a shrew.

Kate  |  May 6th, 2008 at 12:59 pm

• I wonder how many of us are admiring moms who seem to have it “all together”, (but are really putting on a pretty good act, just like we are?)

How many of us are being admired by those very moms we admire?!

This post makes me wonder - who are we putting on the act for? Is it really an act, or are we just doing what we need to to cope and get through the moment? Who can we show our warts to and reveal our vulnerabilities to? I’m thinking that this community serves that purpose quite well!

Heather Mundell  |  May 6th, 2008 at 1:10 pm

• Organized. I so admire the moms whose kids’ hair and teeth are brushed EVERY morning before daycare, not just 7 or 8 times out of 10. And who actually manage to implement a schedule wherein the kids pick up their toys before bed, the laundry is not just washed and dried but FOLDED and PUT AWAY every X days, and they never arrive at the office still sporting the remains of yesterday’s mascara under their eyes.

Heather, I don’t look at it as putting on an act. I’m a big believer in the “act as if” method of getting through life.

Jan  |  May 6th, 2008 at 4:58 pm

• We are just two peas…I share your envies list to the letter. My top envy would be those easy-going moms you describe. Sigh.

Diane  |  May 6th, 2008 at 8:06 pm

• I envy moms who seem to have endless amounts of energy. I know several moms with 4 kids and they seem so energized ALL the time. I have two kids, feel like I’m always running out of steam, and can barely stay awake past 9 PM.

Wendy  |  May 7th, 2008 at 8:10 am

• I envy moms who manage to have a clean house! Because I work full-time, I never have time to clean. But SAHM have kids home all day. They have it no better than me! So, how do those moms who manage to keep their house looking great do it?

Emily  |  May 7th, 2008 at 12:17 pm

• I agree with Heather Mundell. We’re all in the same boat, ladies. Some might have more experience, others a better poker face but we’ve all been there. Some women seem calm only to cry it out in the shower. I just swear & get it off my chest. Others keep a perfect house while the rest of their lives fall apart; You know Brei from Desperate House Wives. No bodies perfect.

Christie  |  May 7th, 2008 at 2:20 pm

• Hmmm…let’s see…1) moms who don’t second guess their choices and decisions (particularly with regard to work) 2) moms who have energy (I seem to just collapse at about 8 PM when I am working) and 3) moms who are CALM. I am the opposite of laid-back. Most of those have been mentioned by others - but I will add that part of me also envies the moms who seem to be OK with the crazy schedules and kids’ activities…you know, like actually seem to LOVE hauling from class party to after school practice to swimming lessons to baseball games. When something gets rained out, I actually breathe a sigh of relief that we might get a few minutes to just relax as a family…

Jen S  |  May 7th, 2008 at 3:26 pm

• Love this post. I also am green with envy for the mom with a clean house, or a well landscaped lawn (I keep meaning to buy some plants at the nursery. What grows well here?)

But, most of all - I envy the mom that plans the birthday parties and gets their kids and loved ones gifts MONTHS in advance. Those mom’s that tell me in October that their Christmas shopping is done. I’m like - “Wha? Christmas? When is that again?” They say that their kids birthday party was scheduled in July for a November party. And that I’m behind and I’ll never get the “good” jump house place because the birthday I’m planning is only 2 months away. And - they are usually right. Shoot, I hardly know what I’m doing NEXT weekend let alone 2 (or 6) months from now.

But, I have to agree with you on all of your comments above. Except that I’m a hell of a multitasker. I can watch my kids baton lesson, watch Weeds on my iPhone, carry on a conversation with the president of the board, cut out letters for decorations and check my work email on my blackberry all at the same time. The sad thing is that NONE of it gets my entire attention. “Yes honey, that was a great two spin!” not realizing that she dropped it. DOH! what did my boss want again? Oh yeah, I read that at the lesson and I totally forgot about it. The board president wanted me to do what? I was supposed to be running the fundraiser? Multitasking is not all that it’s cracked up to be. Maybe I’m not actually a hell of a multitasker. :)

Hecticmom  |  May 8th, 2008 at 12:12 am

• I definately envy moms whose kids are well behaved, eat what they are supposed to, sleep all night long and, DO NOT cry as soon as you leave the room just to try and get some households done….

Sara  |  May 8th, 2008 at 7:43 am

• I don’t think there really are moms who are calm, organized, who have boundless energy and immaculate houses. At least they’re not like that all the time. I KNOW there are no moms who never second guess their career choices.

I’m with Heather that these moms SEEM like they’re really together, but they’re hopelessly imperfect just like we all are.

But the CRAFTY thing, that definitely is a talent. I am envious of moms who are great at coming up with cute craftsy things to keep their kids occupied.

Amy@UWM  |  May 8th, 2008 at 8:14 pm

• Ah, crafting and scrapbooking. I’m not good at it. But multitasking? it’s overrated. Sometimes I just finish what I’m doing and say, “Enough. It’s time to focus.”

daisy  |  May 10th, 2008 at 11:31 am