Dear preschool parents, please stop sending so many cookies for lunch

Categories: Parenting & Family

I picked up my daughter from preschool today and on the way to the car she asked me why she didn’t have chocolate cookies in her lunch box. Last week she asked the same question, but it was about sugar cookies. And my husband told me that when they went grocery shopping together she wanted him to buy Oreos because “lots of my friends at school have these for lunch.”

OK, I know she means they have them for snack and I am fairly certain that their parents are sending more than just cookies for lunch. But I don’t think that until recently I realized just how often other kids bring cookies, ice cream cups, and other sugary snacks to school.

We’re not a zero sugar home — going out for ice cream on a warm spring or summer day is something we love to do as a family and we all enjoy a great piece of pie or fresh-baked cookies — but I do try to limit the amount of sugar my daughter consumes during the day. Dessert is often fruit (sometimes with a bit of whipped cream, something I like myself) and it’s not something that’s definitely a part of every dinner. I check for sugar content in various yogurt drinks and fruit roll-ups and try to get those with less, rather than more. And for school snacks, we do fruit, crackers, fruit cups, apple sauce or pretzels most often.

I realize that this is our family’s choice and that I should stay out of other parents’ business, but more and more I find that I have to explain to my daughter why I am “depriving” her of things like cookies at school or chewing gum (another recent request after a school friend got a piece from mom when she picked him up.) And let me tell you, this is less than fun. “Eating so much sugar isn’t good for your teeth,” is not a very convincing argument for an almost five year-old, believe me.

So please, fellow preschool parents, stop putting so many cookies in your kids’ lunch boxes - you’re making me look bad!

• I dread this day. My daughter is 16 months, so daycare gives them all the same stuff. They do have cookies occasionally, but thankfully it’s not all the time. But I feed her very similarly to what you described…dessert after dinner is fruit or applesauce. She doesn’t know any different. But I know the day will come sooner rather than later where her friends will have the cookies and candy and ice cream, and she will not be happy with me. Any suggestions anyone has for this dilemma would be great! Thank you!

Kara  |  March 18th, 2009 at 7:49 am

• I say not only cookies but lets eliminate junk food containing chemicals. With all the information we have today, why are Potato chips, doritos and other fake snacks are on the market. It should be Illegal.

vera babayeva  |  March 18th, 2009 at 8:12 am

• Nataly -I’m so with you here! Like you, we love the occasional treat. But, we really try to make sure that sugar is not a part of our family’s everyday diet.

Our preschool has a “no sugary snacks” policy. So, all parents are encouraged to not send sugary treats in for lunch. The are allowed to bring in cupcakes or treats for birthdays or special occasions. Maybe you could talk to your school? It’s a good idea for them to help promote kid’s health.

When my daughter asks for too many sugary snacks, we talk about healthy teeth too, but I also talk about overall health,
    “sweets taste good in your mouth, but they are not good for your body.”
    “we want to have healthy bodies, and so we can’t eat too many sweets.”
    “their family may eat a lot of sweets, but our family doesn’t because we want to be healthy.”

…and the one I love to use the most (tongue in cheek)…
    “so and so’s mommy must not love her very much, to be putting so many sweets in her lunch!”

Josie  |  March 18th, 2009 at 9:24 am

• well this is just the beginning of the long fight of “we have different ways of doing things in our house than friend A has in her house.” you can’t change others, you can just do your best to teach your own child. it’s a lesson that will last a lifetime if done right.

we never did juice for the sugar reason. my kids now don’t like it, nor do they choose chocolate milk. they choose white milk or water, and they defend it to kids who question them. I couldn’t be more proud!

stick to your guns.

gretchen  |  March 18th, 2009 at 9:44 am

• Boy, I hear you. I’m in your camp, Nataly, and it AMAZES me what other parents think is perfectly fine to feed their children on a regular, sometimes daily basis! (I sent my preschooler for her first drop-off playdate at a school friend’s house, only to find out later that they’d had cookies for snack (though my child had just had a snack at home) and spaghetti-o’s (loaded with sugar, by the way–check the label), “blue yogurt,” and a juice box for lunch. Sigh.

Shannon  |  March 18th, 2009 at 2:01 pm

• You know…this is why I am SO glad my son’s school provides lunches and on holidays discourages parents from bringing sweets. I don’t think I could handle the why and the how explaination. I agree there’s nothing wrong with ice cream and dessert once in a while but, I’ve seen friends just give their kiddos Oreos for snack or with lunch…then I get that precious look…and have to explain. Good Grief.

Deanna Leigh  |  March 18th, 2009 at 5:28 pm

• Josie, tongue-in-cheek or not, that’s a horrible thing to tell a child. Imagine what the other kid will feel like when your kid repeats it to him or her. Someone told my older kids (ages 15, 13, and 10) that I must not love their younger siblings (4 and 2) very much because I send them to daycare instead of staying home with them. What you’re saying is no different. There’s no need to put someone else down in order to make yourself and your choices look good to your kid.

Lylah  |  March 18th, 2009 at 8:00 pm

• @Lylah - Of course I don’t say that to her!

Josie  |  March 18th, 2009 at 8:35 pm

• It was a joke, just for the comment. That’s why I wrote (tongue in cheek)… so sorry that didn’t come across in the original comment.

Josie  |  March 18th, 2009 at 8:38 pm

• Yeah, I must have misunderstood: “and the one I love to use the most (tongue in cheek)”…

Lylah  |  March 18th, 2009 at 9:28 pm

• Seriously, though.. a cookie in the lunchbox now and then isn’t going to kill your child or lead her down a path of jelly beans and gumdrops. My now-15 year old was practically vegan and almost completely no-sugar as a little kid — she’s fine. My youngest child, who is now, 2, get sweet treats every now and again — he’s fine. My 4-year-old takes cookies to school in her lunchbox a couple of times a week — and they usually come back home, because she just wants to see them there, but she doesn’t want to actually eat them.

Instill good eating habits in your kids, and then wait… it gets worse. When they’re older, they can choose to buy lunch from the vending machine instead of eating the wholesome lunch you’ve packed for them. But if they’re taught that cookies are “no big deal,” then the won’t binge on them behind your back.

Lylah  |  March 18th, 2009 at 9:31 pm

• Yeah, I really don’t think cookies are that big of a deal. I get the food nazi thing. My sister is like that with her kid. I just choose not to make this a huge battle. If she has a cookie at daycare, it’s not going to kill her. If we share an ice cream sandwich after dinner, no one is going to keel over and die. What’s wrong with chewing gum? We only chew sugar free, but I love to chew nice minty gum after a meal. Everything in moderation is my credo.

I guess my mom personality is just more laid back… about most things.

Robyn  |  March 19th, 2009 at 9:37 am

• All kids metabolize food differently. Some kids really can eat cookies every day and still be very healthy. My kids can’t. So I don’t let them.

We can’t change our children’s entire environment just to make it easier for us to parent. That’s a lot of what parenting is - helping your child to be healthy, happy, and wise despite what she sees around her. Peer pressure is never an excuse for parents. Your child does not see you as someone who conforms to others. She sees you as the absolute ultimate authority on everything. So at this age, all you have to say is “we don’t do that” and add a word or two of wisdom for educational purposes.

If my children ran around more and if a sweet wouldn’t mess up their appetite, I’d allow it every day. To be honest, it would be a lot easier than the constant fighting I have to do with our nanny, aunties, and friends who don’t realize how much their “just one” would add up if I allowed it. As for teeth, sugar doesn’t cause dental problems in little kids. Genetics and/or poor health and hygiene cause them. Some kids who have a tendency toward dental problems may need to avoid sugar, but the kid next door might not. Meanwhile, some kids have eating issues and need to be offered sweets because they won’t get enough calories otherwise. Each parent needs to figure out nutrition for her own child and rechannel the energy lost in judging others.

SKL  |  March 19th, 2009 at 9:52 am

• Schools in Quebec, Canada went a step further and forbid any kind of sugary snacks in lunch boxes. No cookies allowed!

Source: http://www.mels.gouv.qc.ca/sections/virageSante/index_en.asp

leatitia  |  March 19th, 2009 at 10:28 am

• I totally agree. My babysitter tried getting rid of her halloween candy by giving each kid a sucker daily when they left. I politley tried to decline, but my son was already standing there with it in his hand. After this went on many more days than I should have allowed I told her that we don’t do treats daily and please stop. We don’t eat out often and I limit sugar. I am not a snob or anything, but I want treats to be a treat not an expectation. I want eating out to be special, not normal.

Ssmith28  |  March 19th, 2009 at 1:34 pm

• My kids are VERY active. They play all sorts of organized sports, and when they aren’t they CHOOSE to go outside and play with their friends. A cookie in their lunch isn’t going to hurt them…sometimes they eat the cookie, sometimes they choose the apple that’s in there too.

Karla E  |  March 19th, 2009 at 10:01 pm

• I comlpetely agree wtih this post and especially with Vera. Kids are generally given way too much sugar, which has now been proven in a couple of studies to be an addictive substance. I am not a total nazi about it, on special occasions like birthdays and holiadys, we have some cake, etc. At his school they only allow sweets on birthday parties or holidays - and the school limits the amount each child has. But it is not a regular part of our diet. I have found that some of the parents are sending fruit loops to school instead of cheerios and the teachers distribute them to all the kids. This has upset a few of us as these are loaded with not only sugar, but numerous artificial ingredients including food coloring - which has been linked to behavior problems and sleep disorders in children under 3. I check every label for artificial ingredients and only buy all natural foods. it’s really scary how many people in this world don’t realize what a big deal chemical laden foods are. These things were not as widely rampant in food 30 years ago and since the explosion of the franken-foods things like cancer, behavior disorders, obesity, and diabetes have been on the rise. All of us on this post seem to be concerned with this and for good reason. I have a friend who is a biochemist and she can tell me what some of these chemicals actually do - it’s scary. My husband gets the magazine Scientific America which has also had a couple of articles about how many chemicals most people are consuming now and how bad it is.

How do we stop our kids from eating it when they get older? Impossible, but maybe with a little education about food and chemicals we can at least reduce their consumption.

Oceans Mom  |  March 20th, 2009 at 8:09 am

• Nataly, I grew up in a household where there were NO sugary snacks. Lunch was a sandwich and diet soda or milk, and we packed them ourselves starting in first grade. There was never any debate about it, and I was dead jealous of the other kids who had treats in their lunches. But you know what? I don’t remember a lot of conversation about it. It was just what was allowed in our household. Period. I didn’t love it, but accepted it as part of the way things were. Don’t feel badly about telling her that your family eats in a certain way, and others choose differently. She will eventually get wise and learn to trade if she’s determined to partake, but really, it’s okay to just state it and move on! You’ll never be able to change what others do, just the way you react to it. : )

Mindy  |  March 20th, 2009 at 1:02 pm

• Get used to it and quit worrying what other parents pack. I have a feeling “lots of my friends” means “my one friend today.” If every kid gets a cookie once every couple of weeks as a treat (maybe to commemorate a special family holiday — one of those times when a treat is more than okay) and there are 15 kids in the class, then yes, your daughter is likely to see a cookie in some other kids’ lunchbox every single day.

Your asking other parents to change so that you don’t have to have a semi-tough conversation with your daughter. That’s wimpy.

Tricia  |  March 20th, 2009 at 1:23 pm

• Well, it really isn’t your business what other families do. And you will have to keep explaining to your children YOUR thoughts and rules from this day forward about various matters. No two families have the same rules. I limited sugar, pop, video games, driving, rap music, and had to fight about all the stuff in between for 20 years. But I allowed some things that I am sure other families thought were inappropriate. You run YOUR family your way and let others run theirs.

Csmithg  |  March 20th, 2009 at 1:30 pm

• I totally agree with Lylah and I would be one very mad mommy if I heard Josie’s “and the one I love to use the most (tongue in cheek)” repeated to my child. My family does not eat dessert with every dinner, we are lucky to have it 4 times a month. My child gets either fruits or vegetables (if not both) with every meal, even breakfast. I send cookies and omg fruit too in her lunch bag and guess what? If she wants chips with her sandwich at lunch, she can have them. She always has a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner and I don’t believe having a couple of cookies or a few chips will lead her down the road to rotten teeth and obesity. My daughter gets plenty of physical and metal activity and I make sure of this by limiting computer and TV time.

I have a family member who will tell her child, “no mayo on your sandwich because it will make you fat.” But, she will turn around and take her kids thru McDee’s when it is convenient for her and let her TV do her babysitting. I have a really hard time dealing with people who are hypocritical. I think that it is wrong to judge how others raise their children, unless they are actually harming them in some way. “Actual harm” not because you think they are being fed wrong).

As far as other parents having to deal with their kids asking them why they can’t have cookies like “so and so”, the old one liner “Because I said so” works great in my house. There is no arguing with a child whether they are 4, 5, or 15! I am the parent and I take the responsibility and I decide what will or will not go in my child’s lunches. If other parents would like to tell me what I should and shouldn’t pack in order to make their life easier, well they can feel free to pay my daycare bill and I will happily pack whatever they tell me to. Heck, I will even make my child eat a tofu dog or soy steak and hug a tree!

Lynn  |  March 20th, 2009 at 1:46 pm

• My daughter is only 17 months, so we’re not at the stage where she knows any differently - but she did start at a new daycare recently where the food is NOT what I serve her at home. At first I was quite uptight about it - and worried about her nutrition. But I realized that I should just trust her choices (even at 17 months). Because she’s been exposed to a variety of healthy foods she’d rather have a piece of fruit over a cookie any day of the week.

I was brought up in a house where I was given cookies and sugary snacks in my lunch everyday. I often traded them off for cheese + crackers or an apple. I realize not most kids are like me, but I also agree with the other commenters that if you make cookies and sugar forbidden, it may be more tempting for kids, than if you make it no big deal.

I certainly would not put sugary snacks in my daughters lunch every single day, but I’m also not going to get upset if she gets a cookie at a friend’s house one day. It’s just a cookie. There’s bigger things to worry about.

And I honestly think if you model and instill healthy eating habits from an early age, they’ll be more open to making healthy choices of their own. And you don’t have to cut out sugar entirely to be “healthy” - moderation is key I think.

Sara  |  March 20th, 2009 at 1:46 pm

• You must have overheard a conversation one of my fellow daycare moms and I were just having!!! I was voicing very similar concerns regarding the amount of high sugar snacks that my daughter consumes on a regular basis at daycare. Her daycare provides all of her snacks which are often questionably healthy anyway and then they let the parents also bring in snacks. Many of the snacks are cookies, candy, cupcakes or munchkins. It is quite maddening when I see that 2 out of 3, if not all 3 snacks for the day are some of these so-called “treats”. I have been planning on contacting the head teacher to discuss how we can limit the children’s constant consumption of these snacks without losing their ability to still have special treats for birthdays or other occasions.

I know parents mean well, but we have to really think about what we are doing to these kids. A sugar snack as you pointed out is a great treat on occasion, but an everyday and multi times a day event leads to our childhood obesity epidemic. This has been documented again and again. We have a great opportunity hear to examine other ways we can satiate the taste for sugar with other alternatives.

Coach Karen G  |  March 20th, 2009 at 2:12 pm

• This is just beginning. Soon enough it will be “Madison gets to stay up till 9:30, why can’t I?”, “my friends all have cell phones why can’t I?”, “Bella has a Bratz doll, why can’t I?” You just have to stick to your guns, although I would advise thinking about picking your battles and deciding which things are really important to your family and which you can let slide, at least sometimes.

Also, how about some “sweet” compromises - chewy organic granola bars, lower fat/sugar cookies such as ginger snaps or fig newtons (we get the Fig Newmans instead)?

Erin  |  March 20th, 2009 at 2:22 pm

• Something I have noticed as my kids were growing up is that at every meeting, event or even sports teams they were on, parents suggested we have snack. I don’t believe in snacking, whether it is sugared or non-sugared. It is not necessary every day as a routine if the child eats at mealtime. In fact, you might be surprised that they do eat at mealtime if the snacks are cut out.
    My child does not need a package of Doritos or cookies or crackers simply because she just played in a softball game for 1 1/2 hours. She does not need a snack at a one hour long Brownie meeting. The parents are also asked to sign up for a snack day. It is inconvenient to not only have to get your children to an activity, but to also have to bring 12-15 drinks and packages of food. The kids have become so accustomed to unhealthy snacks that they expect them when snacks are being passed out. My feelings are, if your child is hungry or thirsty, feed them. I don’t want to.

Jennifer  |  March 20th, 2009 at 2:48 pm

• The real point here is that everyone has different ways and rules in their household. I do not feel that another mother should tell me NOT to pack a cookie for my child’s lunch just becasue she decides not to provide her child with one. I don’t pack my kids cookies, but that isnt the point. I don’t make sandwiches from the gooey soft white bread either. Am I supposed to tell the other moms they need to stop making bologna sandwiches on white bread? jeesh.

Csmithg  |  March 20th, 2009 at 3:43 pm

• I agree with csmithg. I am a competent parent. I don’t need other people telling me what to feed my child or that I’m contributing to some kind of obesity epidemic. Get off your high parenting horse. (General you.) I’m so tired of the “rants” about “bad parents.” Give other people some stinking credit.

Besides, what does it matter to you if we have dessert three times a day? My kid, my house, my rules. My daughter is far from obese. As a matter of, fact she is underweight compared to her height, (though the ped says she’s healthy and we don’t need to worry). And I’ll feed her whatever I darn well please. I’m still not convinced this is a hill to die on. I have other issues that are more important to ME, and I’ll fight those battles. You (general you) fight yours, and I’ll leave you to it without interfering.

Robyn  |  March 20th, 2009 at 4:11 pm

• You know the more I amthinking aobut it I realize taht when m y kidsd were younger (they are now 20, 18 and 12) I was more concerned with their nutrition and their manners. I reall y don’t stress over that stuff as much becasue now I am concerned with what friends they hang with and what time they get home at night. When you are a new mom - these are the things you worry about and you can control. Later theere are so many things you cannot control. so it is a natural progression that all moms go through. So yes, children could eat healthy. No arguement with that. But the kids with cookies in their lunch might be the youngest of five kids, and believe me the LAST thing on the list of that mom that morning is cookies vs. not cookies.

So like I said above, enforce your own rules on your child that are applicable at the time, and do NOT tell other moms what to do or not do. It’s not your place.

Csmithg  |  March 20th, 2009 at 4:36 pm

• Thank goodness our pre-school provides healthy lunches and nutritious snacks as well. I haven’t the worry until he starts Kindergarten. I am fighting this battle with one already…wanting what “the other kids” eat. *sigh* Should I use the “What if they jumped off a bridge” metaphor with a 6 year old?!

CrAzY Working Mom  |  March 20th, 2009 at 7:20 pm

• I love these interesting posts and the discussions that result. Every parent has to do what they think is best for their own child or children. I bet you’ll see as your pre-schooler gets older that there (unfortunately) bigger things to worry about than a cookie or two! As a mom of a 13 and 21 year old, I would gladly trade a cookie for some of the decisions I have to make!

Enjoy your time with young kids — you will wish your biggest issue was cookies, when your kids are older and you have to worry about drugs, alcohol and sex! :o)

Lisa  |  March 21st, 2009 at 4:11 pm

• Snacks and sugar here and there are not terrible. I think most people on this site are pretty health conscious though and don’t realize that there are some people that feed their kids nothing but junk. I have a friend whose 2 year old’s main diet staple is french fries. She is a SAHM who claims to never have time to cook and nearly every meal is fast food. She tells me how horrible their diets all are and how concerned she is because this is all her son eats, yet she does nothing to change it. I think that Nataly was referring to this type of situation more so than people that give kids occasional snacks.

Oceans Mom  |  March 23rd, 2009 at 12:29 pm

• My kids eat healthy, though occassionally get sweets, they are also very active physically, and eat tons of healthy foods as well. I get concerned about people who have “no sugar or treat” policies at home…how can you teach your child to make good choices if you deny anything unhealthy. My expereince is the deprived kids are the ones raiding the vending machines when they get older. I also worry about parents who put this rule in place for their kidfs, but then follow their own rules…horrible example to tell a kid no treats but then mom and dad eat them. Are all these no sugar families teaching a wll balanced lifestyle, physical fitness, ets…lof just jumping on the newest fad of no treats for kids as mom and dad plop them selves in front of the tv every night? Just curious?

maria  |  May 22nd, 2009 at 8:35 am

• I struggle with this subject every day. My daughter’s Pediatrician told me that her BMI showed she is slightly less than obese at 3 years old. I have always been careful with sugar and sodium so I didn’t understand why. BUT, the bottom line is, I have to do my best to do by part and give her the healthiest start I can. She is 4 now and she gets treats, but as others stated, they are meant to be just that, treats, not daily. Well, enter preshcool. I spend alot of time packing 2 snacks and lunch for my daughter, doing my best to be sure they are balanced and yes include a fun treat now and then. My problem is there are 22 kids in her class all having birthdays and I find she is getting MUNCHKINS, cake, cupcakes, popsicles, on an almost regular basis. I want her to participate in everything the other kids do, but am looking for advice on the food issue. If anyone has any ideas please help!

kmp  |  May 23rd, 2009 at 1:08 pm

• kmp - I have a friend whose two young children (ages 3 and 5) are overweight and I noticed that it seems to not be what she feeds them but how much that is the difference between her kids and mine or others who are more slender. Whenever she hosts a gathering and serves the kids lunch or dinner or whatever I always end up only giving my kids 1/3 to 1/2 of the portion that she dishes up. For example, the kids were having mac and cheese. She uses Kraft and I use Annie’s but at the end of the day, neither one is exactly a health food so it probably isn’t making a huge difference. The bowls that she served were easily 1.5 cups of mac and cheese - my boys would start with about a half cup and if they were hungry, would get a few more spoonfuls. I pointed this out and she argued that they (her kids) would finish it because they were hungry…if they’re that hungry, start off with a platter of veggies and a tall glass of water before offering the meal itself, kwim? I think her kids can eat as much food as they do because they’re used to huge portions.

Anyway, a single munchkin or mini cupcake at school every now and again won’t be enough to tip the scales. Watch for how many calories she drinks and check your portion sizes. You may still be able to offer her a wide variety of her favorites, just skinny down the portions a bit and that might be enough to hold her weight steady as she grows taller.

Jen  |  May 23rd, 2009 at 6:54 pm

• Thanks for your feedback Jen. However, if it were an occaisional mini cupcake or a single munchkin once in a while, I would not be so concerned. I have spent alot of time reading and plan my meals and snacks to be balanced, nutritous and hopefully tasty too :-). This is why I struggle with the school so much. I am trying to teach my daughter about being healthy and why it is important to develop good eating habits while she is young. I believe schools play a major role and with 10% of our children between the age of 3 and 7 being obese, it is even more important for preschools to have nutritional guidelines set and even incorporate nutrition and healthy eating into their lesson plans. Thanks again!

kmp  |  June 11th, 2009 at 7:02 am

• It gets even worse. My daycare provides breakfast, lunch, and “snack” and it’s not optional. I’m paying for it, so I’d like to take advantage of it. However, a typical meal could be Beefaroni, tater tots, and corn. Excuse me? It’s all starch! Pasta, potatoes, and corn?!?!? That’s not a meal! We feed our son fruit and a vegetable at every meal, and try to go with lean protein sources and whole grains. And their idea of a snack is pudding and vanilla wafers, where mine is fruit, crackers and cheese, whole grain chips with salsa, etc. So far, my son is too young to really care if he’s eating something different, but I still have to deal with the daycare workers who want me to just follow the school menu to make it easier for them, as well as my own misgivings about spending moeny for food my son can’t eat. But so far, I’m sticking to my guns (I do look over the menu and pick and choose, like allowing him to have applesauce if that’s the snack one day, or the veggies from the lunch when it’s something good.) They even advertise their new, “healthier” menu. I wish there was a way to get them to serve truly healthy meals!

Nat  |  March 31st, 2010 at 10:22 am

• My kids also think of me as the food police. However, I am no where near as bad their dad, who wants to throw out all of the chicken nuggets and pizza rolls in the house.

The kids used to complain about the lack of sugary snacks and candy, but the eldest two (9 & 6) have gotten used to it - and I’ve gotten a little more lenient now that the toddler is around. His preschool teacher frequently sends him home with small lollipops. I tried not giving it to him, but creating world peace would be easier.

I don’t win all of the sugar battles in my house, but I will win the overall war of good health for my entire family though a balanced diet and exercise.

KayEm17  |  April 15th, 2010 at 9:45 am

• Wow, finally someone who believes in the same things that we do!!
    I feel like this is a one woman’s battle against the rest of the parents in my sons pre-k class.

As a snack the daycare provide juice and cookies but I told them that we do not want our children to eat these (my children are 2 and 4). We do eat sweets on the weekends or perhaps o a weeknight, but this is something that we are strict about and it has not even been an issue until now…. They are of course allowed to eat sweets on special occasions at the daycare, such as birthdays and parties. But I just found out that the parents bring sweets, cookies, cupcakes well you name it to ALL the children for all of them to eat.
    Well, my boy is not allowed and this is such a problem now, now I am the bad person here..

Should I try to talk to the parents? I have a feeling they will not even listen to me… many of them are friends since many years and my children just started there 4 months ago. I feel like the trouble maker but hey, I want my kids to be healthy and I want to set a good ground for their eating habits for the rest of their life…

ZIlia  |  January 18th, 2011 at 11:33 am