If you’re stressed about the economy, eat more candy

Categories: Balancing Act, Just For Fun

Yes, apparently eating candy provides some relief from the skull-crushing stress we’re all feeling because of the economy. Well, you might not be feeling skull-crushing stress, but I am and I know a lot of people who are so I’m going to make this broad generalization.

I’m not a candy eater, although I’ve been known to consume dangerous quantities of Raisinets during movies. But eating candy doesn’t chill me out. So I thought about other small things I’m using to help me deal with the stress I feel about the economy, and more specifically, our family’s financial situation:

I’ve reduced the amount of news I listen to, including reading stuff online or listening to NPR in the car. Everything is doom, gloom, end of the world. I just can’t deal.

I’m drinking tons more tea. In a glass mug, with lemon, because somehow I find the sight of it slightly relaxing. The downside is that my teeth are getting stained, but once we climb out of this economic slump (calling it kindly), it will be a good reason to splurge on some whitening stuff.

This is a silly one, but we’ve been inside Whole Foods more than ever before. And it’s counter-intuitive, because it’s more expensive, but thing is, we don’t buy that much stuff. A scone, a funky yogurt on sale, some new dark chocolate to try out. Thanks to the Whole Foods branding gods I do find going in there as a relaxing experience, a treat of some kind, even if I only spend a few bucks.

What are you doing to help you cope with economic stress? Eating more candy? Watching more movies? Hiding under the covers? Share in the comments!

• 1. Soy chai lattes
    2. Sex and the City episodes on DVD, doesn’t matter what season
    3. Reading blogs :-)

Kara  |  March 25th, 2009 at 10:07 am

• I do this! Ha ha ha! They have little containers of mini chocolates in my office. When we move April 1 to Keller Williams, I will lose my chocolates - and probably a couple pounds.

Oceans Mom  |  March 25th, 2009 at 11:22 am

• oh man, this is right on time. I am stressing out. I quite some time ago to start a business and things just got progressively worse.

I worry a lot, a lot, sometimes to a point where I feel like vomiting.

I wonder if I made the wrong decision by quiting my job, but it I don’t think so because it was not the right job for me or my family.

I don’t think eating candy will help. I might hide under the covers.

vera babayeva  |  March 25th, 2009 at 11:51 am

• I find myself wanting to sleep more, even though I don’t actually have more time in which to sleep!

I’ve been baking more. The homemade biscuits and scones and cookies taste better, and there’s something very satisfying about both making them and eating them… and it doesn’t take up much time, surprisingly.

Lylah  |  March 25th, 2009 at 12:17 pm

• -I exercise, somehow that makes me feel more in control.
    -I repeat this phrase: “If you are so poor, why do you have this extra weight”
    -I treat myself to Chapters visits with my son: “We browse through expensive glossy books, that are no more than one-time read, buy coffee, water is free, and share a coffee cake/cookie”. Feels like a real outing, costs no more than $5
    - I make my own coffee and grab a sandwich or a home-made treat and enjoy it on my way to work
    - Read blogs rather than news

Maria  |  March 25th, 2009 at 12:36 pm

• Watching movies is definitely a stress buster for me. It allows me to escape reality for a couple of hours and forget what’s happening in real life. Although, I like that candy idea!

GoEverywhere Team  |  March 26th, 2009 at 9:38 pm

• I just started to take Karate. While the financial outlay probably doesn’t make strict money sense, the relaxation I get from clearing my mind, exercising, and honestly, hitting something makes it cost effective for my state of mind!

I’m also baking more, not watching the news (though I have to read a lot of finance news, because that’s my job!) and drinking tea. :)

Lori N  |  March 27th, 2009 at 12:44 pm