Friday night date night? Forget about it.

Categories: Balancing Act, Relationships & Marriage

A few of our friends — all busy working parents — have a regular date night on Friday night. One of the couples has two young girls and they have an agreement with their nanny to stay late on Friday so they can go out to dinner after work together. Another couple tries to make it out to the movies or the theater or some other fun event every Friday. They told us they don’t always plan ahead what they will do but they know they have the night so just pick something that looks fun.

I love the idea of a regular date night, although my husband and I have never quite done that. We get out, just the two of us, a few times a month, but we don’t have a regularly-set day and I think that would be kind of nice. But a Friday night? Forget about it.

By the time I get home on Friday, I am fried and have just enough energy to play with our daughter, eat dinner together, and collapse on the couch in front of the TV once she is in bed. It’s the end of the week and the absolute last thing I want to be doing is getting dressed up and going out. Instead, my husband and I will usually watch a movie or catch up on Top Chef or Flipping Out (yes, we’re absolute Bravo fans) and try to go to bed at a reasonable hour. I guess you can call this an extremely chill date night, but truly, we’re both too tired to even talk to each other.

Do you have a regular date night with your significant other? What day of the week do you usually go out?

• Great idea about date night, I myself like thursday afterwork, great dinner crowd at Don Coqui Newrochelle new york. Once a month not a bad thing.

Virgilio Clemente  |  September 5th, 2009 at 12:58 pm

• I haven’t had a date on Friday nite since, well, since we were dating. My husband was a retail manager for >28 years, so he worked Friday nites, and a lot of Sat. nites as well. Even now, with him working for the State, he’s still in retail and occassionally works on Friday nites. Our daughter is 19 1/2, so I don’t even have a concept of a Friday date nite. Maybe in my next life…. Besides, as you said, by the time I get home, I’m fried, too, and the last thing I want to do is have to get the bra and pantyhose back on, get dressed up, and go out. Maybe it’s the “black hole’ of home that you get sucked into, but I don’t have the strength.

Maybe in my next life….

Jane  |  September 5th, 2009 at 4:39 pm

• My hub and I haven’t been on a date in about 2 months. We rarely get out of the house b/c we have twin 19 month olds and a sparse list or resources to relive us for dates. My sister will watch them for us on occassion, but they are still young enough that it makes me nervous to have a sitter from the ‘outer circle’ or even a parents network watch them. It’s really unfortunate, too, because it has definitely taken a toll on our relationship (my hubs and mine). Talk about cabin/romance fever…

Meredith  |  September 5th, 2009 at 8:12 pm

• I have always prefered Sat. to Fri for date night (although we don’t get either very regularly). My kids are always a little “fried” on Friday after all week at daycare and I just don’t feel right about not being with them then. Sat. night they are more rested and have spent all day with us so it feels better.

Shannon W.  |  September 6th, 2009 at 10:28 pm

• No. By the time we pay for dinner and babysitter, it’s $$. Which would add up if it were four times a month.

Colleen  |  September 8th, 2009 at 9:17 am

• LOL! Yeah right - I haven’t seen a date night in, 1, 2,3 months - summertime vacations - topped with working and summer sports - Please - we only have one reliable babysitter, my single sister - we must give SERIOUS PRIOR NOTICE to -
    My goodness - how frustrating -
    I really want to have ‘Q’ time with my hubby - it’s soooooooo hard between having to work, clean, shop for food, work, homework, church, on and on an on - Yep, I need help -
    MAMA needs a serious time out!

LARRAH  |  September 9th, 2009 at 12:12 am

• We never had date night for like 10 years ;-) Just 3 months back we started. We go out on wednesdays, kind of a mid week break.

Lakshmi  |  September 9th, 2009 at 11:32 am

• Date night… ahem! My husband and I try to go out as often as possible (once or twice a month) (Sigh!)> We mix it up.. sometimes it will just be the two of us, sometimes with some friends.. and sometimes its out on our patio itself.

I hear you for Friday nights.. very rarely can i make plans for that one evening. That s simply our evenign to relax and lazE!

GNSD  |  September 9th, 2009 at 12:33 pm

• Oh yes, Friday nights are the worst night to try to get the energy to go out! I am completely fried, as others of you have said. We prefer Sunday night. We’re very lucky that we have grandparents very close by who can watch our toddler at the drop of a hat. So sometimes we’ll see something going on on a Tuesday night and head out to that. But usually I’m too tired on every night but Saturday. However, most nights after we put the munchkin to bed we hang out on the couch together and talk or listen to music or watch a movie. It’s really nice time that we get to spend together, so we don’t feel as much push for an official “date night.”

Katie  |  November 23rd, 2011 at 8:08 am