Letting go of past loves
Going through life some of us at one time or several times have had to let go of a past love or loves, whether through death, divorce, betrayal, dumping, and or abandonment.
Can you think of why you have had difficulty letting go? I can surely testify to the fact I had a very hard time letting go of my past loves.
In order to find out if you really have let go of your past relationship, try answering a few questions?
- Do you think of your former love often?
- Do you fantasize being with your former partner?
- Do you find excuses to talk with your former partner?
- Do you talk about your former partner often to others?
- Are you angry with your former partner?
- Do you still try to please your former partner?
- Do you still have an emotional commitment to your former partner?
- Do you still think you and your former partner will get back together?
- Do you become emotionally upset when you think about your former partner?
If you have answered at least one or more of the questions, then it is quite possible you have not completely let go of your past love(s). You are unfortunately carrying around baggage that can potentially sabotage any new relationship you enter into.
Not being ready to let go of a past relationship may be the result of unexpressed feelings. When unexpressed feelings occur, it is usually due to not being able to face the issues and feelings in regards to circumstances surrounding the past relationship when it ended. A person can be afraid to let go because they do not want to deal with the feelings of: