My Cake and Eat It Too
I heard this story recently and I wanted to share it with all of you. A woman I’ll call "Susan" and her 20 month old daughter went on a long car trip to visit Susan's parents. Susan's mom, being the doting grandmother, had the house scrubbed by a cleaning company in preparation for the visitors. When Susan and her family arrived, she gave the 20 month old a bath. A few hours later, Susan's daughter was crying and fussy. Susan took off all of the toddler's clothes and diaper and discovered a raw, bright red bottom covered in large blisters. They brought the toddler to the doctor who diagnosed her as having a chemical burn. Apparently, the cleaning lady used a very well known product (which I happen to use) to clean the tub and when Susan filled the tub with water, she unknowingly created a chemical bath for her daughter.
So I started thinking. How many times have I used a product, thinking I was cleaning, disinfecting and doing the right thing, only to be actually harming my children? How many times have I walked into a daycare with a sense of relief that I could smell bleach and knew they cleaned? What if all those mystery rashes and coughs that the kids come down with are actually caused by chemicals we are using? Little known fact about me, I'm obsessive about spraying and wiping down the kitchen counters. Not that I intentionally put food down right after wiping the counter, but what if there is still residue there when my daughter is snacking? Just like there was residue in Susan's mother's bathtub. What if the caustic ingredients in the laundry detergent are contributing to my oldest son's eczema and asthma? What if my younger son's new desire to get his teeth sparkly white is actually causing him to ingest harmful toxins? Did you know that some shampoos contain formaldehyde which is linked to allergies, asthma, and cancer and is especially dangerous to children? I don’t know about you, but the cancer odds in my family certainly don’t need any more encouragement!
In an effort to make changes in our home, I started researching companies that make safer products. I was fortunate to learn about a wellness company that has almost 400 products that are better for the environment, safer for your home and healthier for your family. Among other things, the company states that many common health problems can be eliminated by switching to their products. Through my research I have learned that the company has earned several awards and enhanced many lives. They also have a foundation that has helped victims of 9/11 and Katrina. The foundation even sponsors an orphanage in Ecuador.