Group Discussions

helppppppp advice please!

Subscribe
  • ive got myself into a very awkward situation;

I have just started a new part time job (6 weeks) and Ive decided I dont like it.

I have also been offered and accepted, my dream job with dream salary, full time.

My parttime job requires 2 weeks notice.

The only reason I got the new job is that I said I could start in a week.

I really need some time before starting my new job, to get organised so I can cope with the schedule again.

Basically I havent yet resigned, and I want to do it without going back AT ALL!

Plus I have had the flu and am still not fully recovered...I really shouldnt be at work in the first place but am dragging myself in.

Is there a way to handle this one without burning my bridges?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by ausmum on 7th May 2007
  • I am not an expert, but I think just quitting this job without any notice is not a great idea and will definitely burn this bridge. One angle I can think of is talking to your current employer and saying that you really need to make a higher income due to certain circumstances and that you have to take a full-time job right away. I think this will still create some issues but at least there is a legitimate reasons, which makes it sound better.

I would definitely advise against just not showing up - it's just not a good idea.

Good luck, sounds like a great change, but a tough transition.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 7th May 2007
  • I would agree with Nataly. I think being honest is the way to go. However, I would not disclose that you would like to take a week off between jobs and like Nataly suggested would say that you need to start your new job right away. This is tough and you will probably still end up disappointing your current boss. You have to do what's best for you and your family. Good luck with it!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Victoria on 7th May 2007
  • thanks for the advice, especially you Victoria as I do tend to get all wrapped up in whats best for others and not me.

Im now going to look forward to my fantastic opportunity, not backwards at the mistake I have made - it will have to be a learning lesson. You cant please all the folks all the time!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by ausmum on 7th May 2007
  • You might also want to consider if you want to work for a company who would require you leave another workplace in the lurch-I've noticed in my experiences that those companies tend to not always be the great places they looked like from the outside.

If you explain the rational behind your decision, most employers, while not happy, will at the very least understand if you sit down and speak with them about your needs.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Thordora on 15th June 2007
  • Hi my name is Nina

I just joined the Work It Mom online. I have wanted to start a business since my children were little. Now I will be 46 soon. And my children are all grown now. Heeelllppp. Want to get started. Need advice on how, where, etc.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by CONQUEROR on 2nd August 2007
  • Hi nina,

happened to be online when your message came through!

what sort of business do you want to start?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by ausmum on 2nd August 2007
  • Hi Nina,

Please check out our forums under Entrepreneur-- there are already a lot of great posts and advice for starting your own business!

Also, peruse our articles and blogs-- you are likely also to find some answers there!

Do you have any specific questions?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 10th August 2007
  • Hi Nina,

I agree with Nataly you just have to be honest and professional with your current employer. With the current economic environment we are in today we have to be watching out for ourselves financially. The end result is the same but you've shown them the courtesy of an explanation which is better then a voice message saying I'm outta here or just not showing up.

Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mary Jane on 9th December 2007

Add a Reply