Group Discussions

Working in a single parent household

Subscribe
  • Being a parent is not always easy and when you add taking care of a home and career to that job it can sometimes feel really overwhelming.

I'm curious how other single mom's feel about their careers. Do you love it, hate it or just show up because it pays the bills.

What is the biggest challenge for you in being a working and single parent?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 2nd July 2007
  • When I first had my daughter, (well, and to be honest, my entire pregnancy) I spent night after night crying myself to sleep. I worried I wouldn't be able to care for this little person that was completely dependent on me. I have always worked two or three jobs at a time - not entirely possible when there's a little person clinging onto you. How would I make a house payment, car payment, insurance, groceries, gas, electricity, etc...and then I just realized that whether I liked it or not, bartending at night wasn't going to work anymore. I started sending my daughter to a five-day daycare and continued my 9-5 job that I go to to "pay the bills," and then spend my evenings absorbed in my little mini-me.

My 9-5 job, unfortunately, is my family business. And, although it's not what I want, I'm stuck trying to help my mom with her "baby."

I want to be a stay at home mom. But, you know, that would require me winning the lottery.

I'm overwhelmed most of the time. Sometimes, I don't open the mail until the day before a bill is due- sometimes after. I'm in denial most of the time - hoping my ship will come in - but all the time being mostly content with life.

I think to myself - does anyone truly enjoy their jobs?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Meg on Monday
  • Meg,

i totally understand. I feel the same way - i worry about the mortgage, education bills (nyc is crazy) and in addition, worry about losing my job or being pushed out or not paid a good bonus (most of my income comes but once a year.) I too wish i were somehow independently wealthy so that i could just stay at home and focus on my 16 month old daughter. To add insult to injury, my job seems to be sucking all of the energy out of me. It's difficult to figure out how to potty train, get your child to eat, get clothes for your child in the midst of all of the above. I dont have any answers myself, i just put one foot in front of the other most days and hope for the best!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by brammy on 3rd September 2007
  • As a Mom, I know how important it is to spend time with our childlren and provide them with the best possible care. I would love to stay home as well even though my daughter is grown, so to realize my dream of doing that, I've started a home based business and I'm working it part time right now. It's a great opportunity for extra income and to meet new people. Most of my work is done on the computer and telephone. If you are interested in having a home based business you may visit my site www.kidsrpeople.com.

I
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Ernestine on 27th September 2007
  • Ernestine,

I've seen ads for MOMs before. Exactly what IS it? What are you doing? Sales?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on 27th November 2007
  • I hate having to go to work everyday. I don't hate my job. I have started my own travel agency so I can quit the full time away from home job & work from home doing something I do love.

It's tough being everything to a child. I've been doing it for a lot of year & have always found my way. I just know that it will be ok.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Tammy on 14th August 2008
  • I'm back,and it's nice to know that I'm not the only one out there who feels the same way about work and family.Some times it's hard working the schedule I work and raising children by myself.Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing the right thing.But then it makes it worthwhile when I have a little extra money for my children.Especially with the holidays coming up.I just do the best that I can do.It also helps to have other adults to talk to.I think that is the one thing that I miss.All I have to talk to is children,pets,walls,and the t.v.I get along with my co-workers and we joke around a bit,but,work does get a little busy,so we don't always have time to catch up with each other,and by the end of the work day all we can think about is going home and relaxing.Besides,who really has the money to go out anymore.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Regina on 17th August 2008
  • Oh I agree. I did the 3 and sometimes 4 jobs to support my daughter. I now (that she's 21) am a Medical Transcriptionist. But I was able to help her to become one as well...so that when she is raising her children she doesn't have to do it the way I did. I went to this school online and am happy to share it with you all. If you have questions feel free to contact me personally. www.mtacc.net
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Christine on 26th August 2008
  • I have one out the door already raising her own girls,I try to help her when I can,but I still have two more at home.In one more year my nineteen year old will graduate and start her own life.She isn't sure what she would like to do yet,she would like to go to college,but she is also looking to join the service.she was thinking about joining the Air force like her uncle.I really don't want her to but if it is what she would like to do then I support her.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Regina on 28th August 2008

Add a Reply