Group Discussions

Poll: Is summer more stressful or relaxing for you?

Subscribe
  • Is summer more stressful or relaxing for you?

Talk about this week's poll!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Work It, Mom! Team on 24th July 2007
  • Wow. I chose definitely more stressful, because for me it is - but I expected to be in the minority, not the 2/3 majority!

For me, it's the influx of stepkids for half the summer, plus working for most of the summer while my kids are on holiday. Working from home with all these extra bodies around is no easy task. Imagine trying to work with six to eight teens sharing your office space! Gah.

I take the last two weeks of August off, as a matter of survival, but even then, most Septembers I am a very tired little camper...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryP on 26th July 2007
  • It seems like the longer daylight hours of summer brings pressure to fit many more hours of activities and commitments. Plus, summer is usually my busiest time at work, so the stress builds up very quickly
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyK on Monday
  • Definitely less stressful. I have 4 children. 3 are in school. 2 play sports. There is so much to be done during the school year that it's nice to not have such a rigid schedule during the summer.
  • Definitely more stressful. I have to manage the logistics of keeping the kids in summer programs that cover 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. for the entire summer. Since my son and daughter go opposite directions (they like different things) it can be quite the challenge trying to make sure that they are all packed for each camp and dropped off and picked up per schedule. During the school year, things are hectic, but we typically have a "regular schedule" making things easier to remember and thus less stressful.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Linda on 17th August 2007
  • Stressful, definitely. Summers mean I'm off work, not getting paid, and on a 24/7 schedule with Diva Girl. I adore Diva Girl. But I don't particularly like 8 year old girls. I LIKE going to work, and I LIKE the break that occurs when she's at school. We rub up against each other too much this way. Counting the minutes until the end of summer here.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kimberly on 17th August 2007
  • Summers are very stressful. August is my busiest time of the year at work, it's a whole month of working like crazy to meet deadlines. I hate it. Plus my daughter is on vacation. I love her to bits and we have great fun together, but having to think about the logistics of keeping her happy breaks my focus.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KatieK on 18th August 2007
  • Very stressful. I'm a piano teacher, and the bulk of my students go on vacation. They take the WHOLE summer off. And some people are so out of their routines, that they forget that they have a music lesson. There's no work, so there's no money. And no money means no a/c. And no a/c in South Florida in June, July, and August means BAD MOODS.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mom Sleppy on 21st August 2007

Add a Reply