Group Discussions

Poll: Is it OK to have a drink while taking care of your kids?

Subscribe
  • Is it OK to have a drink while taking care of your kids?

Talk about this week's poll!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Work It, Mom! Team on 13th August 2007
  • Good heavens, I hope so.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryP on 14th August 2007
  • Hmmm. I had a drink with dinner at a nice restaurant, and my child and her boyfriend were there, too. They are underage. (If you are curious, he had green tea and she had lemonade.)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Daisy on 15th August 2007
  • Quoting: MaryP
    Good heavens, I hope so.

That was too funny! I think one drink does not impair one's ability to parent. In some situations it might actually help!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lisa R.(dirtydiapersyndrome) on 15th August 2007
  • I think this is much more an American issue than it is elsewhere. There seems to be an automatic equation in the American national psyche between "drink" and "drunk". If you drink around your kids, you're exposing them to something illicit; and that having a drink renders you incapable of providing adequate care. One (or even two) drink(s) does not a sot make. You ask this question of most Canadians or Brits or French, and the reaction is "What a bizarre question."

Because really - parenting is FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Is one supposed to not drink until your children are of legal age, then? Or only one of you can drink at a time - you'll have a Designated Parent?

For me, it's just an odd question.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryP on 16th August 2007
  • You should have at least one cocktail for each child under your care. Oh hell, some day's you should make 'em doubles and invite the neighbor kids over.

Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 16th August 2007
  • I think I'm having one of those days... But I'm making do with tea. Because I am So Professional and Virtuous.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryP on 16th August 2007
  • Cracking me up! Yes, by all means, drink. It's an odd question for me, too. You must read and share Three Martini Playdate which put some things into hilarious perspective. I'm not about to ask my three year old to mix my margarita (because it would probably end up with dog fur in it) but it's fine for them to be exposed to it. Last night she asked for a glass of pretend wine instead of tea at the tea party. I could only laugh b/c I was having a real drink!

On that note, the last playdate I hosted had 5 moms splitting a bottle of wine before we ordered pizza and let the kids tool around the driveway on their bikes. It was a blast because it felt sort of forbidden. We giggled more from that then the wine. Next time we'll try two bottles (I may be kidding).
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 18th November 2007
  • Oh my goodness, yes.

I'll play Devil's advocate here for a moment, though...

I'm OK with me (or my husband, or my parents or in-laws, for that matter) having a drink while taking care of my kids, but I'd be livid if I found out that my nanny/babysitter/caregiver had done the same.

Why is that?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 19th November 2007
  • Lylah, I feel the SAME way. In part it's b/c I'm paying that person. They are not there to relax but to spend constructive time with the children.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 20th November 2007

Add a Reply