Group Discussions

Poll: Is it OK to have a drink while taking care of your kids?

Subscribe
  • I agree... way back when I was a nanny, the idea of pouring myself a drink while I was "on duty" would never have even occurred to me for that very reason.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 20th November 2007
  • Vodka is a Moms best friend... colorless... odorless... (Just kidding... sortof).

I too would be livid if I found out my care provider was drinking while in charge of my angels... but then, I don't drink on the job and I expect the same from them! I don't think that's a double standard.

Plus, I know what I am doing... how I handle myself...etc... we never know these things for sure about others. (That's the control freak in me speaking.)

Cheers!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Yes, Mommy has to work today on 21st November 2007
  • I've had this discussion in other arenas. My bottom line? It depends on who the caregiver is. No, I don't drink on the job (I'm a childcare provider, as it happens), but back when I was hiring care for my own children, there were those - family, friends - who were shown not only where the kids' stuff was, but where the wine was, when they came in to sit of an evening. A teen (even an of age teen) would not be given the same privilege.

Also, many people DO drink during their work day. They head out for lunch, and maybe have a glass of wine with it, then head back to the office.

So, I'd say "it depends".
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryP on 26th November 2007
  • I'm probably the only one that feels this way, but I really don't like it when someone is having a drink and holds my baby. Yes, even family members. I think this is because I don't drink myself. I'm worried that the person might stumble while holding her....for that matter I don't like it when people wear heels and hold her either...but that's another story.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 28th November 2007

Add a Reply