Group Discussions

Cold Turkey

Subscribe
  • What is something in your diet (food or beverage) that you know you should give up completely but try as you might, you cannot resist the cravings?

For me it is my daily (usually afternoon) craving for sweets.

I often cater to it with a candy bar or cookies from the vending machine but would love to find a healthy substitute. Any suggestions? It needs to be sweet (chocolate - yum!), quick and convenient because I'm often eating it between meetings.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 16th August 2007
  • How about a granola bar? I like the Nature Valley ones - they are pretty sweet, but you're getting some nice vitamins as well. And what I like about them is they take a while to eat - so it's more satisfying.

Cream in my coffee - just CANNOT use skim milk, can't do it. I know I don't need that added cholesterol, but still....
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 16th August 2007
  • I eat frozen grapes. But I can make a little bag of M & M's last a week.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kim Begnaud on 16th August 2007
  • Kim Begnaud - you clearly have powers that far exceed mine. AN ENTIRE WEEK!?!?!

I can't make a bag of M&M's last 10 minutes.

I bow to you.

LOL
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 16th August 2007
  • I am trying to cut down refined sugar. I know that on a deep level, the idea of never having flan again (and probably other things) will keep me from giving it up entirely. But I think if I try to look at the sugar grams in foods and keep it low (under 10 grams, maybe under 5), that will be a good start.

That means no more Dr. Pepper. And I was having it very infrequently anyway.

Nataly, I have switched to a soy creamer for my coffee that has half the calories-- just an idea ;).
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 16th August 2007
  • I am big sweet person as well and crave something sweet after every meal, at least lunch and dinner. I can usually survive the afternoon craving but an after dinner treat is a must for me and that's when I usually succumb to eating chocolate or something nasty, especially if we are eating out or ordering in.

I recently started trying jello and/or frozen fruit bars (edy's or haagen daz) for after dinner dessert. I have been trying to avoid the afternoon treat altogether but if I cannot then I go for raisinette's. I've tried the granola bar or fruit option but if it doesn't have chocolate it just doesn't do it for me!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by dancer on 16th August 2007
  • As a general rule, if I don't get dessert in the evening I'm not a very fun person to be around. I can awesome all day long - but 8PM hits & I must put something sweet into my mouth. During the day I quell my junk food cravings with things like yogurt & fresh fruit.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by CursingMama on 16th August 2007
  • For in between your meetings, you could try a Slim Fast snack bar, not a meal bar, the snack ones. They are decent with calories and the chocolate covered ones aren't bad. I also enjoy the 100 calorie bags of Oreos or something of that nature.

I'm a big snacker at work. I sit in my cube all day and if I have candy in my dish, I munch on it until the specific type I was wanting is gone. I need to figure out something else to fill up my candy dish with besides tootsie rolls or taffy!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on 16th August 2007
  • See I take care of my Mom and she has to watch foods for alot of reasons mainly diaysis no potassium, phosforus and crazy things so she is no longer needle or pill dependant for diabetes and her levels for dialysis are great!

Try the Special K Protein bars they are not bad
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kim Begnaud on 16th August 2007
  • So, Kim, you are controlling her diabetes through diet? That is so remarkable!

I am lucky that I am not hooked on chocolate anymore. Though, I admit, one of the reasons I am trying to cut out refined sugar is that Halloween Candy season is upon us. I love it. I buy it and then I am the one who eats it, and I put on weight.

So, if I am cutting down on refined sugar, that will help, right? Right?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 16th August 2007

Add a Reply