Group Discussions

What are you currently reading?

Subscribe
  • I have been on a Dean Koontz kick lately, so I am reading his "By the Light of the Moon".

It's been on my pile of reading material so long, I can't even remember when I bought it, and I am finally to it. It is the last one in my pile, so I need to find some new ones to read soon.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mommy2kiera on 16th August 2007
  • I am currently reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kim Begnaud on 16th August 2007
  • I am in between books, but I just finished one called The Falcon Bride. Before that, I read Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer. I also have a stack of books so big by my bed that I put my alarm clock on it, LOL.

I have to admit: I read a lot of "crap." I have a justification though (of course!). I have a Master's Degree in English. So, obviously, I know HOW to read better books. But I also tend to have strong empathic reactions to books, so if I read serious fiction, I tend to get a little depressed. So, I try to read "light" stuff that may be fluff and have one plot again and again, but it amuses me and helps me relax.

So, I read historical romances, mysteries, with "real" books in between.

I am also very fond of vampires...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 16th August 2007
  • I'm reading The Kite Runner for my off-line book club. I need to finish it before next Friday's meeting, so hopefully I'll get a big block of uninterrupted reading time this weekend. It's good so far, but my book-reading time has dropped recently due to more blog-reading (and writing) - oh, and work time and family time too.

Kim, what do you think of Wicked? My book club read it a couple of years ago, and most of them hated it. I thought it was OK but not quite what I expected. Interestingly, the club member who disliked the book the most saw the musical based on it a couple of months ago and loved that.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 16th August 2007
  • My best friend from college loves Wicked. She and her kids made their entire Christmas and birthday presents one year a trip to NYC to see it.

I have The Kite Rujavascriptaste_strinL(selektion,3,'','','';)

Italic Stylenner
    on my shelf (unread) and I want to read it so I can justify getting A Thousand Splendid Suns by the same writer!

Has anybody read The Memory Keeper's Daughter?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 16th August 2007
  • Jen - I love that you justify your crap reading - I do the same thing ;)

So - I am currently reading a fine piece of literature called "Size 14 is Not Fat Either" by Meg Cabot. When my work or home life hits a certain level of stress or if I am on vacation these are the only kinds of books I can read. Anything too heavy would only get chucked into the bonfire.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by CursingMama on 16th August 2007
  • I just finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I post reviews of all the books I finish on my blog, and you're welcome to check it out over there:

URL
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 16th August 2007
  • I loved The Kite Runner but haven't gotten to A Thousand Secret Suns yet. And I did read The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Jen. I thought it was pretty good.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Keri on 16th August 2007
  • Oh, and I thought Wicked (the book - wasn't able to snag tix for the musical but would have LOVED to) was awesome. Haven't been able to get into the sequel book, however...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Keri on 16th August 2007
  • I was just given a book to read called The ParentPreneur Edge. It's supposed to focus on our traits as parents that can help make us successful managers and business owners. It should be interesting.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Amy Beekley on 16th August 2007

Add a Reply