Group Discussions

Can we talk about Harry Potter? [ONLY FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FINISHED DEATHLY HALLOWS!]

Subscribe
  • [SPOILERS!]

Can we talk about Harry Potter for a minute?

I was disappointed in The Deathly Hallows. It didn't sour the whole series for me, but I expected a lot more. There was way too much of Harry and Hermione sitting around in tents worrying about what to do next. She needed an editor and a firm hand.

And the epilogue? Don't even get me started.

I thought for her final, crowning book that she would want to do something she could really be proud of. And perhaps she is. But I was left cold.

Am I the only one?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 16th August 2007
  • I am just posting this response so I can get emailed when there is a reply to my message.
  • This was such a hard book for me to read, and I did finally post about it myself earlier this week. The hardest part for me has been trying to put into words how dissapointed I was in how she finished the series but that I wouldn't tell anyone not to read the series.

You are absolutely right, the editing was non-existent. I have a feeling there was a goal to make this book as thick as possible, there was no other explanation for a lot of the tent time. And the afterward was such a piece of crap. My first inclination was to feel that she wrote it so that she could control the ending forever; so nobody could come back years later & write more to the story like what happened to Gone With The Wind. She wanted to control the ending, had more "stuff" in her head about what should happen to the characters so she wrote that drivel.

I still love Harry though....
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by CursingMama on 16th August 2007
  • I still love Harry too, and I joked to a friend of mine, all she did was open the door for 19 years of fan fiction to fill in all those gaps! LOL.
  • HATED the epilogue. And all that stuff in the middle.

But Neville? Neville ranks right up there with HP Heroes who will be cheered aloud from the dark corner of Keri's bedroom by flashlight throughout all of time!

We loves our Neville...

And yes, I cried when Dobby died. But those were the only tears shed in this book I'm afraid. But for the hours wasted waiting for her to GET ON WITH IT ALREADY...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Keri on 16th August 2007
  • Maybe we should write a book about Neville Longbottom - Wonder if he ends up with Luna
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by CursingMama on 16th August 2007
  • Yes-- Neville rocks!

But considering the prophecy, I thought Neville should have had a lot more cool things to do. I mean, seriously. Or we should have at least SEEN it. You know?

I was sad about Dobby too. Also Fred.
  • I'm afraid I'm not with y'all on this one. I didn't love it the most - Order of the Phoenix is still my favorite HP - but overall I thought she wrapped up the series well and I was pretty satisfied, although I still wish it wasn't really over. I had a lot more to say about it in this post: URL
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 16th August 2007
  • I'm going to come in with Florinda. I think she did a fair job of it. It was definitely a departure from what we're used to--no fun prowling around the castle--but that was sort of the point. As to the sitting around tents, yeah there was a lot of that. But, just like Order of the Phoenix, I think that was intentional. Great Adventures are often simply brief moments of excitement breaking up long periods of sitting about waiting for something to happen. I think Rowling does a good job of capturing that--she did it in Order of the Phoenix, and continues it here.

Neville does rock. I think Neville WAS Harry at Hogwarts this year. I would love for her to give us a book of what happened during the year that Harry, Ron, and Hermione were on the run.

Some things that bothered my nitpicky soul: How was Colin Creevy even at Howarts to be killed? He's a mudblood. According to Voldemort's new rules, he would have been declared Wandless. Voldemort's arrogance about the Room of Requirement was another sticking point. Sure, he's a vain guy. Pretty full of himself. But how in holy hell could he have possibly looked at the clutter and debris of that room--especially the very well described "kidness" of it, and assume that no one had ever been there before him, and that therefore, no one would be there after? And I do not buy for one second that wee James Potter has no idea of who his father, Aunt, and Uncle are. Even had Harry sheltered his children their entire lives--and I really don't see how that's possible since Harry is pretty much the Messiah of the Wizarding World. His fame as the Man Who Killed Voldemort makes his status as The Boy Who Lived seem insignificant, I bet--the kid goes to Hogwarts now. There is no way he remains ignorant in the face of that. I appreciate the attempt to show that it didn't all go to Harry's head and that he's just an ordinary bloke, but it's patently ridiculous.

I cried when Fred died. I loved the Weasley twins. Another thing I would love to see is how George fared without him. Firewhiskey and Veelas, I imagine. But could Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes really be so brilliant with just one of them? So much of their joy in life seemed to come from feeding off of each other.

I loved Molly's big moment! How wonderful to see her revealed as more than just a dumpy housewife, but as an incredibly powerful witch in her own right. I take that as a powerful commentary of the hidden strengths of the women behind the stoves.

I thought Rowling handled Snape brilliantly. She has all through. Right up until th every end, I had no idea whose side he was on (his own, clearly). Even as he lay dying, I found myself wishing that this vile, repulsive man, a clear villain, would be revealed to have been on the right side all along. I didn't feel that the revelation disappointed at all. I think Snape's complexity may be Rowling's crowning achievement of this series, and cheesy though it was, I was touched by Harry's tribute to him in th epilogue.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kimberly on 16th August 2007
  • Okay, I'll give you that: The Snape business was my favorite part of the whole book (maybe even the series) because I KNEW he was good. I just KNEW IT.

Add a Reply