Group Discussions

Who are your favorite authors?

Subscribe
  • Trudi, I think Lamb and Fluke are probably my favorite Christopher Moore books, but I haven't yet found one I didn't like. I haven't read his newest, You Suck: A Love Story, a sequel to Bloodsucking Fiends, yet - my husband has, and he liked it, but has others he's liked better.

I tried to convince my book club to read Lamb for our next meeting but it made a couple of people nervous. One of the ladies did borrow it to read on her own, though, and I'm very curious to find out what she'll say about it.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 29th August 2007
  • Just finished Moore's Coyote Blue this morning as I sat waiting to see if I would be chosen for jury duty on a murder case... (wasn't luckily). It was my first brush with Moore and I was reading it as part of the R. I. P. 2007 challenge I commented about earlier. Loved it and can't wait to finish up the challenge so I can get to more of his works.

A friend of mine had been reading Lamb when she and I were relaxing at her brother's cabin a couple of weeks ago and that's what convinced me to add one of his books to my list ASAP.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Keri on 4th September 2007
  • I have Lamb. And no excuse for not having read it yet.

I will have to check out the RIP Challenge, you are right. Especially given how I feel about werewolves and vampires.

It was a MURDER trial???? Boy, you are so lucky you got dismissed!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 4th September 2007
  • We were talking about Madeleine L'Engle here not long ago - I didn't realize she just passed away. Just read it here...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/post/PLNK32OO57AHN0M 9F

I may need to go borrow the Time Quartet from my stepdaughter.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 7th September 2007
  • Wait - the L'Engle conversation was actually in another book club thread. Still....
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 7th September 2007
  • I'm new to Work It, Mom! and love to read so I think I'll be spending a lot of time here. I've never heard of or read Christopher Moore. Where have I been? Sounds like I should start with Lamb?

My favorite author is Anita Shreve. If anyone wants a harrowing tale that will tug on your heart strings as a mom, but also leave you a little aroused (nice side benefit in parts, pick up Fortune's Rocks. I read it 6 months after having my first child and couldn't stop crying for the last 50 pages. It's been 6 years, so I'm going to pull it out and read it again soon. I can't wait.

My most recent read was A Thousand Splendid Suns which was so great. If you liked The Kite Runner you're sure to love Suns. I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love right now and enjoying it but finding it a little hard to relate to as the author seems very spoiled. She has a mid-30's life crisis and decides to travel to 3 exotic locations to find herself. Oh that we could all be so lucky. Interesting journey though, both physically and spiritually. Worth the read.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jennifer on 7th September 2007
  • I love to read. I don't think I'm "well read". I've read some of the classics, from Of Human Bondage, some of the books authored byJane Austen, Hemingway, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, F.Scott Fitzgerald, etc. Right now, my favorite authors are:

Jennifer Lancaster

Jennifer Weiner

the guy who wrote "Running with Scissors"

David Sadaris

Jennifer Crusie...

I must like Jennifers write now. I love the sarcasm, right now!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by unkeptmomof3 on 20th September 2007
  • I'd love some sarcasm - could you suggest 1-2 books for me from one of your Jennifers?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 20th September 2007
  • I'm a pretty big Jennifer Weiner fan myself. I'd suggest starting with her first novel, Good in Bed, or Little Earthquakes.

And responding to the earlier post from Jennifer, Lamb was my first Christopher Moore book; I'd start with that or Fluke.

I've yet to find an Anita Shreve book I've liked, but I'm probably in a minority there, since she's pretty popular. Fortune's Rocks is one of my least favorite books, but when I read it I couldn't put it down, which made it even more irritating.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 20th September 2007
  • I like to read John Irving, not all of his stuff unfortunately, but A Prayer for Owen Meany, A Widow for One Year and Cider House Rules are wonderful!

I also like Anna Quindlen and Pat Conroy.

I tend to like certain books more than certain authors.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Shannon Hutton, M.Ed., M.P.A. on 15th October 2007

Add a Reply