Group Discussions

do dream jobs exist?

Subscribe
  • I'm in bit of a quandary and not sure what to do.

I know that I'm unsure of my current work situation. It just doesn't make me happy.

But that's not to say I'm unhappy there because I'm not. Does that make sense?

Well I've been invited to apply for a job that could be my dream job. I had considered entering this field while I was still in school but thought it best to continue on the road I was already on.

Who knows if I'd even be hired for the new position. But I don't even know if I should apply.

Would you apply just to see what would happen?

I know it's kinda vague -- but it's really a long drawn out story. I wrote more on my blog if you're interested.

Thanks ladies!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by amaras_mom on 18th August 2007
  • I'll go read the blog post for all the details but my short answer to this is YES! Apply for the job! Why wouldn't you?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 18th August 2007
  • This forum post got me to thinking about the subject of taking professional chances. I wrote a few more of my thoughts on the subject on my Work It, Mom! blog, Who Stole My Stapler?

Maybe that will inspire your decision.

• Kathy! You did inspire me! I am not one for fear -- I welcome the challenge. But I think a part of me says, "You're a mom now and can't make those leaps of faith anymore." But then I feel professionally I'm losing out. I also feel some sort of personal obligation to my current boss -- she has been a tremendous mentor and I feel I owe it to her to stay.

But you are absolutely correct. I have professional goals that need to be reached and now is as good as a time as any.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by amaras_mom on 18th August 2007
  • Your comment about holding back because you are a mom now caught my eye. Think of it this way:

How do you want your DAUGHTER to be? Do you want her to explore the world, try new things and push herself to achieve new things?

If so, you can be a role model for that by allowing yourself to take chances on your career that you feel REALLY GOOD ABOUT!

Also, like you I have had great mentors in my career. Several of them were executives, managers and directors at companies I worked for. To this day they still mentor me and I think they appreciated my passion for my career. Moving on doesn't mean you have to give up anything in that relationship at all!

GO GET 'EM! That's what I say!
  • I love this whole thread.

Kathy Howe was instrumental to inspiring me to start my own business, and I've been earning my entire living with it for two and a half years!

Go for it!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 19th August 2007
  • I just read this whole thread - Kathy, you rock! Amaras_mom - for what it's worth, it took me 10 years to find my dream job. To get here I did some pretty scary and risky things. In fact, as the main breadwinner, I am risking a lot by giving up a secure job to start Work It, Mom! and be an entrepreneur. But it is so worth it. I got used to saying that being happy with my job would not make me happier - but it's not true. It makes a huge difference in my life. I hope you go for it!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 19th August 2007
  • Well I'm on vacation and I keep thinking about this whole situation and seeing your posts just reinforce what I believe my decision will be when I get back home. It is such a huge step into the unknown but I do know I can do it and like Kathy said in her last blog post, what I don't know I can learn.

Ladies, thank you for your words of encouragement!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by amaras_mom on 20th August 2007
  • Please keep us posted on how this plays out! Whether you move to the new position or not, I am interested to hear how this all works out for you!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 20th August 2007

Add a Reply