Group Discussions

Workout like the Anciet Roman messengers

Subscribe
  • Messengers in the Roman Empire had a system for covering long distances: walk 40 steps, run 40 steps.

I did this today on the treadmill. I set it fast enough for a hurried walk. then jogged 40, walked forty. It kept my heart rate at about 70% capacity and I was able to keep it up for a half an hour.

It was amusing. Especially when my teenage daughter c ame over and asked what I was doing and I said, "I'm doing it like the Ancient Roman mail carriers." She called me a nerd (I have a BA and MA in history). I said:

"Not as nerdy as you reading Harry Potter fan fic on your iPod nano!" (considering she has to 1)find the stories, 2) download them 3)then upload them to a site that converts them to iPod-friendly format and 4) downloads that and puts it in her iPod.

Sometimes it is the coal calling the kettle black.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KatieK on 20th August 2007
  • That is excellent. I do that sometimes too, but not for a long time. It is a very fun way to work out, isn't it!

(You are both geeks, and you know I mean that in the best possible way)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 20th August 2007
  • I might have to try this tonight on my elliptical! Sounds like a great way to mix it up a bit!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 20th August 2007
  • But Jen, you have to imagine that you are a Roman messenger hoofing across a pristine landscape, or perhaps trying to take a route around the enemy lines :P
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KatieK on 21st August 2007
  • Hey! I love this! Not only am I going to try this on Lurch when I finally get him functioning again (No sillies, I wasn't talking about HalfBrainBoy... but that's funny!), I'm going to do this on my next hike through the walking paths of our development!!! AND I'm going to use my imagination! Can't you see it? She ducks behind the clump of trees as she jogs toward it, imagining she can hear the enemy approaching... heh My new neighbors will think I'm really bonkers! And I suppose they won't be TOO far off base!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Keri on 23rd August 2007

Add a Reply