Group Discussions

I need a vehicle

Subscribe
  • I love to snack on foods like salsa, hummus, & guacamole but it is difficult to find low fat/calorie items to use as a vehicle for them. Any suggestions?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by heidi on 29th August 2007
  • I make my own tortilla chips from tortillas. You just cut them into 8-12 pie-shaped slices, spread out on a baking sheet, and bake about 10-15 minutes at 350. My kids even love them! I figure it's better than something deep-fried. I know people who make their own tortillas too, but I am not one of them, LOL.

Also, for hummus, sometimes I eat it with carrots or celery.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on 29th August 2007
  • You could also use carrots and green peppers as dippers!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by amanda on 31st August 2007
  • i buy the low fat/ low carb pits and cut them up in to triangles and bake in over for a bit and then use them! They are great
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on Saturday
  • I was thinking later of both pitas and green peppers!

And also, truth be told, a spoon, LOL.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jen Creer on Saturday
  • celery stalks!!! or broccoli, or carrots, or really any sturdy veggie works well!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 7th September 2007
  • I like cucumbers and hummus..mmm! Makes me hungry just typing it!

I've also made a yummy salad with mixed baby greens or the herb mix by Newmans Own and I first put a dollop of hummus on the bottom of the bowl, then I add the greens, carrots, cucumbers, a few pine nuts, and any other veggies I have on hand. I add my favorite dressing (very little since I have the hummus to give it flavor too) and voila...I have a really yummy salad that is a meal and healthy too! I sometimes need more protein, so I'll slice up some smoked turkey or even leftover chicken and toss it in there. Even my kids love it!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Christine Eisenman on 11th October 2007
  • That sounds freaking awesome Christine!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 12th October 2007

Add a Reply