Group Discussions

Hi all you BF Mamas!!!

Subscribe
  • Hey all!

I wanted to get start this group for those of us who are breastfeeding our little ones. I know that for many people it can be a real challenge to juggle the responsibility/commitment of breastfeeding.

I know that for me breastfeeding is a real comfort, but can also be a real pain.

My daughter is just three months old. In that amount of time we have definitely had our share of ups and downs. Most recently, we have had the case of thrush that just won't DIE!

I'm definitely here to lend support to those who need it, and would love to hear from the more experienced moms as well.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 10th September 2007
  • Hello, my daughter is 15 now, but I breastfed her for 23 months.

I found breast feeding to be difficult, but I stuck with it because I really believed that it was what was best for our daughter.

Where we live (in Turkey), at that time, urban women never breastfed (it's more popular now) and people could not seem to understand how someone from an "advanced' country could willingly choose to behave like a villager. As soon as a family reaches the middle class, suddenly the woman's body stops working-- something like 90% have C-sections and NONE of their breasts work. Families will often send their babies off to be raised by the grand parents, and in the upper classes, nannies are de rigour.

On the other side, in the U.S., I was pressured to let her cry herself to sleep, and to let her cry in the day time if her needs were all met. My mother said that babies are manipulative (i.e., evil scheming beings) and have to be stopped early on. (Obviously, I was not breast fed!)

I just shrugged and did it my own way. When our daughter went to preschool, her teachers remarked that she was unusually calm and intelligent. In grade school she was marked out as "exemplary". She's 15 now and a delight to be with. I don't know if it was the breastfeeding that did this, or maybe just our family culture-- maybe it's the same thing: there is a great deal of respect and patience in our family.

I would do it again in a heart beat, that's for sure.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KatieK on 10th September 2007
  • KatieK,

What an inspiration to keep at it! I also started breastfeeding because I thought it was best for my baby...but I had an ulterior motive as well. I have known lots of breastfeeding women over the years...I am the oldest of four and all of us were breastfed. I saw the relationship that formed between moms and babies and I just couldn't imagine not having that special connection. To me the other benefits of breastfeeding are perks....I'm glad to hear from you that the bond isn't broken even now in the "tumultuous adolescent years"!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 10th September 2007
  • Hey ladies!

My daughter will be two in October and we are still nursing (she calls it "ah-milk" or "top";) and it really is a special part of our day, especially with her older now. She's a very busy little lady and will stop just to reconnect by nursing, I can tell she's not even hungry. I nursed my son until he was about 26 months and am planning on the same with her.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by hilaryi on 11th September 2007
  • Welcome hilaryi!

Gotta love the comfort nursing! When babyjama is going through a growth spurt or a rough spot I don't feel like we ever leave our nursing nest. I'm planning to nurse until she pretty much weans herself. Good for you for sticking with it!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 11th September 2007
  • Comfort nursing. This is the beautiful thing about breastfeeding. Babies need so much more than simple nutrition. Can you imagine, coming into the world with no language skills-- I settled in Turkey when I was 24 and did not speak the language. however, I knew English and French and I knew 'how to learn a language'-- still, after 20 years and near-fluency, I have days when I feel like I can't understand anything and can't make myself understood, and I just want to cry. Imagine having no language at all...Fortunately I have the breast of international satellite TV

When she was 23 months old and I decided it was time to wean her, first I stopped night time feedings-- but my husband took over and snuggled with her until she was able to sleep through the night. To me there were clearly two elements: the milk and the cuddling. She was fine with that.

Soon after that, I am not sure when exactly, we made bed time reading an institution. I would read one night in English and my husband would read one night in Turkish. This became a cherished tradition and we continued it until she was twelve or so. I can think of nothing so luxurious as being read to sleep.The breastfeeding and the reading are linked -- it was all about slowing down and savoring the moment.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KatieK on 12th September 2007
  • KatieK,

That was sooo well put. My experience with breastfeeding is very similar...many times it's not about food.

My daughter nurses to get to sleep too. I always nurse her until she drifts off and then I get up to meditate (I need the time to center myself at the end of the day). When I get up to meditate my husband is then on cuddle duty. If she begins to wake up he will snuggle with her until she falls back to sleep. It seems that she needs the reassurance of someone being there...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 12th September 2007
  • Hi!

I am currently nursing my 7 month old son. Previously, I nursed my older son for 14 months (he is now 3) and his older sister for 15 months (she is 5). For me, breastfeeding is an essential part of my relationship with my children. I know it is not the right choice for everyone, but it is very important to me.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by amanda on 16th September 2007
  • Hi there! My little Squiggles is just over 4 months now. He's my first, and getting the hang of this breastfeeding thing was tricky for us, but I stuck with it because I knew it was right for us. I will admit, it was very, very hard for 3 weeks or so; he didn't take to it at first, which worsened his jaundice and landed him in the hospital for a night. Even after that, he didn't seem to want to breastfeed (he had to be given a bottle, and I'm sure that was much easier for him), so our feeding routine went like this: offer the breast, get rejected, cry, give a bottle, pump. The whole dance took about an hour, then we would rest 1 1/2 - 2 hours and repeat it all over again. However, as hard as it was at first, I am so, so glad I stuck with it - I know this was the right choice for us!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by corinneyb on 21st September 2007
  • It's great to have other moms to talk to. A lot of people I know preferred to go the formula route. I breastfed my little one until she was 15 months old. Actually, it's been one week since we stopped and I feel I am suffering more than she is. She still sleeps with me and we cuddle a lot. I wanted to go until she stopped but I had surgery and had to go cold turkey. I didn't even think that I wouldn't be able to, it was kind of naive on my part, I thought my husband would have to position her for me and that I would continue breastfeeding but lesson learned. I am so pro-BF and I know for a fact we saved tons of money but I feel I gave her a head start in life. She's really healthy, very alert and a lot of fun. My hubby and I want another child and will try later this year to get pregnant. We will definitely go the attachment parenting route again but we might try to get the next one in their own bed at night because we have lost a lot a sleep and we both work full time.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Walk On the Moon on 22nd February 2008

Add a Reply