Group Discussions

Welcome to END VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND GIRLS WORLDWIDE

Subscribe
  • International Violence Against Women Act

Right now the International Violence Against Women Act (I-VAWA) is before Congress. If passed, the bill will reduce violence against women and girls worldwide by

* Making the U.S a global leader in promoting non-violence against women.

* Taking advantage of the many ways U.S. foreign assistance programs can reduce violence against women.

* Supporting overseas organizations fighting to end violence against women and girls.

Click here to sign the I-VAWA petition!

The effects of violence are far reaching:

*Work opportunities:
    Violence reduces a woman’s ability to provide for her household through work. In India for example, a survey revealed that women who experienced even a single incident of violence lost an average of seven working days.

*Education: Girls who are exposed to or experience violence are less likely to complete their education. A study in Nicaragua found that children of female victims of violence left school an average of four years earlier than other children.

* Health: There is a consistent link between physical or sexual abuse and ill health. For example, women who have experienced violence may be three times more likely to acquire HIV than those who have not. Also, 1 in 4 women are abused while pregnant, which can have severe health consequences for both the mother and the child.

* Community: Women who experience violence are less able to benefit from and contribute to supportive and healthy communities.

Click here to find out more about the I-VAWA

Click here to sign the I-VAWA petition

Click here to sign up for alerts about women and violence
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Laura on 1st October 2007

Add a Reply