Group Discussions

It's a great time to get out there and network!

Subscribe
  • Our group started out as a local meetup group. Actually, it was 2 meetup groups and it was run by one person, Christine. As things happen when you have 4 kids between the ages of 10 months and 7 years, she got too busy to keep up with both. That's where I come in. I'm Wendy and I'm a graphic designer living on the Gulf Coast of Florida. I am the organizer of one of the groups Christine started, a local Women In Business meetup group in West Pasco and Pinellas counties in Florida.

I do not live in an area that is very likely to spend what I charge for design. That's fine though, I have the internet. ;) Most of my clients are acquired via word of mouth referrals. I have clients internationally. 95% of the projects I have going on are projects I got from networking.

There are new networking sites popping up all over. Some are just the same as most. This one, however, had some really interesting and useful features. I'd like to help get this site more active since we only help each other by joining these sites. You can't know too many people when you are trying to spread the word about what you do for a living.

So get out there and Network!!

Flag as inappropriate Posted by Wendy Milonas on 3rd October 2007
  • Hi, Wendy - thanks for starting this group. Did you see the Entrepreneur Moms group on the site? I think both have the same goal in mind - to help all of us women in business network and learn from each other!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 3rd October 2007
  • Wendy! Thanks for starting this group! I think in ANY business it's important to network! I am not currently an Entrepreneur so I don’t really feel like i can relate to that group as much. My hope is that this group will also include information/networking from those of us that work for companies, either from home or at the office.

I am currently an IT Project Manager for a very large company. While it's interesting and I have learned a lot, I am really to move back into a management role as an IT director or manager for a smaller company. I feel like this type of move will allow my career to continue to grow - I don’t want to be a PM forever!

So I guess my question to the group is how? How do you bring together all of your past work experience into a new position? How do you get companies to look at you when they really just want to hire someone whose current job matches the requirements for their opening?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 3rd October 2007
  • Hi,

Great group. I'm new to work it, mom. I'm excited to meet new friends, and spread the word about my business. I sell handcrafted, one of a kind jewelry. If you have a moment check out my work at simplybetty.etsy.com or simplybetty.com. I am offering free shipping to all work it moms thru the end of August.

~SimplyBetty
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by SimplyBetty on 20th August 2008
  • Hi there,

Thought I would mention all of my networking that I am on.

Facebook http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=5907419 23
    LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/myprofile?trk=hb_side_pro
    Twitter giazzpet (great place for networking)
    Kwippy
    Small Biz Networks on Ning.com
    Mommy2Mommy on Ning.com
    Integrated Mother on Ning.com
    http://www.RenaissancePerformers.ning.com (my own that I created, and yes, you can also create your own networking site on Ning.com as well)
    Yahoo
    WorkItMom
    MomBlog
    BoMoms.com (through Boston.com)

Of course, nothing beats meeting in person, and getting that business card.

By the way, I signed up as a fan on facebook.

Giazz
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Giazz on 20th August 2008
  • Oh yes, sorry, also on LiveJournal, http://giazz-40.livejournal.com/
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Giazz on 20th August 2008
  • My name is Christine. I work from home as a Medical Transcriptionist. After being downsized from a great job a few years back this was suggestion from my cousin. I absolutely love that I don't have to be out in the rat race anymore and I save a ton on gas. But the networking is amazing and you need it to be competitive and find ways to get paid more and work less. This is the school my cousin, myself and my daughter attended and I found them to be totally supportive. Anyone can do this and it's great for stay at home moms. www.mtacc.net

Christine
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Christine on 28th August 2008
  • Hi All!
    I'm new to this site and so glad I found it!!!
    I m a flight attendant part time and I have a Work At Home business that keeps me hopping! I thoroughly enjoy it and am really doing well.
    The flying part is fun too and I enjoy the flight benefits as well.
    My working world allows me time with my kids and time to travel so I get the best of all worlds. My website is www.freedomathometeam.com/SLux if anybody wants to take a look.
    Looking forward to meeting new people here!
    Suzanne
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Suzanne on 10th September 2008
  • Hi Everyone! It's great to be able to network with other moms. I myself work in the personal and financial development industry. Feel free to take my Free Ecourse at http://focusonfortune.org or call 1-800-844-9639 x 1219. I'm looking forward to meeting other moms!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by amabio on Tuesday
  • I have recently started working with a company called Ameriplan that allows me to stay at home with my kids and choose the hours I want. The greatest thing is that the company provides the leads for FREE! All I do is call them up and fill out an application for them for discounted dental, vision, or health plans. I absolutely love it!

Check it out at: freedomathometeam.com/alewis
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Amber Lewis on Friday

Add a Reply