Group Discussions

What do you all do?

Subscribe
  • Hi everyone, i'm new here. My name is Myst (actually it's jen but whatever LOL) I'm a business owner, a wife and mother of 2. I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you and hopefully we mom's can inspire each other.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Myst on Friday
  • I work at home taking care of my fiber animals. I spin and knit their wool and I also sell quite a lot of it over the internet. I have several sheep, two angora goats (think mohair) and an angora bunny. Pics of all are on my blog at http://onaridge.blogspot.com.

I also work part time for a company that does insurance inspections for many insurance underwriters and my reports and photos are submitted online. I have never met my supervisor! My blog has been going for over a year but I only recently got started with monetizing it. I then started another blog: http://othersideofnewyork.com. to capitalize on the monetizing thing but that one is very new yet. So I guess I have three part time jobs going.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by windyridge on Saturday
  • Hello, ladies! I work at home freelance reviewing on my blogs, and I send mail to children encouraging them to read with my company, My Very Own Mail.com - I'm the ambassador for eMomsatHome (working on that 'ambassador' word - not totally keen on that) - sometimes I help people search with ChaCha.com - I'm trying to convince myself to give that one up - but, I'm not totally sold yet. I just really like it too much to give up. I also have a bunch of Squidoo lenses.

Ok, that was grammatically horrible and a run-on mess! But I think that's everything! LOL!

Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lisa Marie Mary on 8th October 2007
  • Hey, all! I'm a recent convert to the work-at-home lifestyle. I've always wanted to try it, but didn't know where to start. So when I moved to Georgia this summer and couldn't find a full-time job (it was fate!), I turned to my long-lost dream of writing for a living.

So right now I'm writing web content for school websites, and looking for more clients so that I can call freelance writing my full-time job. And in my spare time, I'm exploring Georgia with my husband. And crocheting up a storm.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by holli jo on 8th October 2007
  • I've actually been working from home for a couple of years now, but I was working for other organizations. In the last few months, my friend Tamara and I started our own company. We've been calling it the Berry-Brewer Agency, but we're debating whether to add the word "freelance" or the word "writing" in there to be a little more clear about what we do.

Currently we do a lot of writing for the web: seo articles and such; but we're attempting to move more toward supporting other small businesses that need good writing and editing.

As part of the Berry-Brewer enterprise, I help maintain the Freelance Parent blog on the eMoms at Home network. I've also been writing Something Good for the last year, although it's not getting the attention it deserves lately.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lorna Doone Brewer on 13th October 2007
  • Lorna - just wanted to say that I've just checked out your Something Good blog and really liked it. I hope you find some time to get the word out about it (and hopefully meeting some people here at Work It, Mom! can help.)

I'd also like to encourage all of you moms who have figured out a way to successful transition to working as freelancers to share your wisdom and experiences with fellow working moms by writing an article for Work It, Mom! I get so many emails from members asking for advice on this - I think it would be really helpful!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 13th October 2007
  • I like this thread, it´s interesting to see what everyone is up to. I´m a mom of two little ones and I work at home as a freelance writer and blogger. I´m not up to the level that I want to be, still earning too low for my tastes, but since I live in Guatemala and earn in dollars . . . it´s all good!

My most recent stint of working as a writer (I dabbled in my teens) started after I had my first son, who was born with an imperforated anus and had to have a colostomy when he was a day old. There was no way I was letting anyone else look after him, so I started trying to find ways to replace my income as an English teacher. Writing is something I´ve always loved, so I just naturally went back to that.

It took a while to get internet at our house, so for a while, I was trudging to the internet cafe for an hour each day to send out articles that I typed up at home . . . with the baby in a sling! We got internet a few months before my second son was born (they are pretty close together) and now I work at home full-time and am slowly expanding my business.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Genesis on 17th October 2007
  • Genesis - what type of writing do you do?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 18th October 2007
  • I write web content, on just about any topic, SEO stuff and keyword articles. Plus I´m working on a book for women entrepreneurs.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Genesis on 18th October 2007
  • Hi everyone,

This is a great thread. I'm a newbie here, but I'm a freelance writer and editor, plus I'm working on my second book and I'm the editor-in-chief of a new online magazine. I have a 20-month old and a DH who telecommutes once a week (the other 3 days of the week, he's at the office).
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Erika-Marie S. Geiss on 24th October 2007

Add a Reply