Group Discussions

Home Made Cake/Bread/Baking Mixes

Subscribe
  • As I've mentioned before, a combination of my nut allergy, a desire to eat healthier, and the fact that several different food additives give my hubbie migraines, makes it difficult to find certain things on a grocery store shelf.

At this point, I make my own pancake and waffle mix in bulk, and I'm looking for other similar mix recipes - baking mix (like bisquick), cake mix, etc... I like to bake from scratch, but with three kids under five, I don't always have enough time to measure out all of the ingredients every time.

For anyone who's interested, the pancake mix recipe is:

10 c all purpose flour

2 1/2 c instant nonfat dry milk powder

1/2 c sugar

1/4 c baking powder

2 T salt

Mix dry ingredients and store in airtight container (fits in two gallon sized ziploc bags).

To make the pancakes/waffles:

1 1/2 c mix

1 egg

1 c water (add more for thinner pancakes, I use about 1 1/4 c)

2 T oil

Enjoy!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kristie McNealy on 17th October 2007
  • Hey nicu101, I thought I would share a GREAT company with you. It's called Cherrybrook Kitchen, and they make excellent cake mixes for people with allergies. I even used their yellow cake mix for my wedding cake. They are absolutely fabulous cakes (especially the chocolate). I just made a batch of cupcakes tonight. The sell the mixes at the bigger health food stores, or you can google the company. It's really awesome stuff, and much more healthy than most cake mixes (they don't use regular white sugar).
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 18th October 2007
  • i am so lazy - you should sell these combos. i would buy them! and i am sure others would too. sounds much better than buisquick (blah) and such.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 19th October 2007
  • nicu101,

Thanks making up the mix tonight for dinner. Mmmm I have blueberries that I froze to add to it as well.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kim Begnaud on 19th October 2007
  • Mmm. My girls like them with blueberries and flaked coconut. Of course, I'm a sucker for chocolate chip. We add pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spice sometimes too.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kristie McNealy on 19th October 2007
  • Wow pumpkin sounds fantastic in that!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 20th October 2007

Add a Reply