Group Discussions

Workout rut

Subscribe
  • I need to shake up my workout routine - any ideas for workouts that you really enjoy?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 23rd October 2007
  • hahahaaaa working i enjoy. you are funny

actually i like yoga, but not sure if that counts! what kinds are you doing that have you in a rut?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 24th October 2007
  • My sister has really gotten into pilates. She thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread...haven't tried it myself, but I'm intrigued....If you want something else different you could always try swimming, if your gym has an indoor pool. I've always secretly wanted to try water aerobics.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 24th October 2007
  • ooh me too! if i could get the guts to get in a bathing suit i think i would love it!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 25th October 2007
  • Kate, don't even get me started on getting into a bathing suit...if I could do it at 9 months pregnant (this past summer) I'm sure you can! ;)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 25th October 2007
  • I know time is a factor a lot of times, but something that helps me is to take a fun class. I recently added a tap dance class to my routine and it's been so much fun.

It's pulled me out of my comfort zone a little bit, and it shocked my muscles a little. Another great bonus is I get to connect with other women - we have a ton of fun!

I do teach dance so the activity isn't completely new to me... but tap is something that I'm not well versed in, so I do have to be on my toes... no pun intended
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenn_Givler on 25th October 2007
  • Cheap, easy, fun and EFFECTIVE! My recommendation is a HULA HOOP!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 25th October 2007
  • BELLYDANCE!!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by heels on Tuesday
  • lol hula hoop!! i used to be good at that...

belly dancing is awesome, but again, i am too chicken. why are all classes for the fun things in a room with glass walls and about 20-30 people? i need a closed room with like 5 people and then i *might* be able to attend with out stressing out about it!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on Thursday
  • My experience with belly dance is not like you're describing. I am a very self-conscious person and could never handle being in a class where I felt like I was being stared at.

I take one class in a yoga studio and one at the local women's center (not a gym). The women I dance with are ALL shapes and sizes and all skill levels. It's a really wonderful experience.

I think that so much about exercise classes is finding the environment you are comfortable in. With the explosion of interest in belly dance in the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if there were several classes in your area. You may just have to look a little harder for one that fits you. I live in a very remote area and we have about 4 different classes going on. I wish I could go to all of them!

I'm not trying to pressure, just encourage. Before I had belly dance I couldn't stick with any exercise program. It's literally been life-changing for me.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by heels on Friday

Add a Reply