Group Discussions

Any yummy vegetarian suggestions for Thanksgiving?

Subscribe
  • I am hoping to fill up on all the side dishes and avoid the turkey but since i am going to my SIL for Thanksgiving, i would like to volunteer to make at least a couple of the dishes! Any ideas for something a little different that would fit in with the traditional fare?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 14th November 2007
  • Butternut Squash Pureé ....A totally seasonal recipe. Two things I love about it: it's *easy* and it tastes delish. Some people might consider it boring, but you can always integrate it with something else.

I'm not sure about the quantity. I get a whole butternut squash (I'm guessing they're around 3-4 lbs each normally??...if you're cooking for others, you may need to do 2 or 3 squashes). Slice it in half lengthwise, remove the seeds & stringy stuff and put them face down on a tray in a 375 degree oven for about 1 hr. (Make sure you use a tray that can catch the liquid that will seep out...I learned this the hard way!!) Cool them a little bit, then scoop out the flesh & discard the skin (or compost it, whatever). Put it in a Cuisinart (a blender will probably do as well, except you'll probably have to do it in stages). Cut up some garlic fine...I usually then gently sauté the cut-up garlic...and put it in, along with some veggie broth. How much depends on whether you want purée or soup. I usually do around a cup for each squash. Purée it and voilá! Some people put butter on theirs, but I skip the extra calories and it still tastes awesome.

- Paula.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by tkd_mama on 14th November 2007
  • Heck yeah! I grew up vegetarian, and our main dish was always squash casserole (which is basically stuffing and goes very very well with everything else on the table).

1 sliced onion

1 chopped bell pepper

4-5 stalks of celery chopped

1 tub sliced mushrooms

4-5 sliced yellow squashes

1 pint of sour dram

1 1/2 cups of gravy

salt

pepper

1 package pepperidge farm herb stuffing

Sautee onion, bell pepper, celery and mushrooms in olive oil. Steam the yellow squash until tender. Mix 3/4 of the stuffing with the sour cream, gravy, salt, pepper, and veggies. Mix well, and pour into a casserole dish. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add the remaining stuffing to the butter. Mix stuffing and butter and pour on top of the casserole spreading it evenly. Bake the casserole at 350 and cover with aluminum foil for the first 15 minutes. The casserole is done with the bread crumbs are golden brown on top.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 14th November 2007
  • these sound so yummy! funny too because i keep seeing all the squash and wondering WHAT can i do with it? i had no idea how to cook squash! yay!

my grandmother always made a potatoe sausage stuffing - any ideas how you could do that veggie? thinking maybe using veggie sausage... i may have to find out the recipee! and share of course!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 15th November 2007

Add a Reply