Group Discussions

I'm afraid to read

• I've been thinking a lot about what I do read (when I get the chance to kick back and read, that is!). It occurs to me I tend to choose easy, non-threatening paperbacks. I'm realizing I'm missing out on great new novels because I'm afraid of reading anything disturbing/violent. It just upsets me so much. Example: I'd love to read the Alice Sebold novels. I was afraid the read The Lovely Bones because it sounded so sad and I was sure I'd be traumatized by the experience. Now she's got another book out, The Almost Moon, and I'm afraid to read that too. Anyone else a scaredy-cat like me?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 14th November 2007
  • I'm afraid, but for different reasons. My mind does not retain like it used to and I love falling asleep with a book. Only problem is I can't remember the next night what I had been reading. Argh. So lately I stick to, um, yes, I'll admit it though it kinda makes me blush, cheesy period romance novels. Ick, now I'm sweaty and nervous. I swear I love more in depth things but it seems all I can handle is the newspaper.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 14th November 2007
  • The Lovely Bones was based on a sad event and its aftermath, but it was a very good read. It wasn't frightening at all. Try it! You might be surprised.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Daisy on Tuesday
  • There was a point a few years ago when I could have sworn I could feel my brain atrophying. So I started writing book reviews, to force myself to think in new directions and to get reading again. Just the act of underlining a passage or jotting down a little note in the margins made me really focus on the book, and helped me notice things that I probably would have glanced over before...

My current faves: Terry Pratchett's "Making Money," and Ellis Avery's "The Teahouse Fire." Right now, I'm working on John Elder Robison's "Look Me In The Eye." They're all good!
  • Thanks, guys. I felt like that, Lylah, when I finished grad school. Like I was too tired to read anything challenging. Thanks for the recommendations.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on Wednesday

Add a Reply