Group Discussions

I'm afraid to read

Subscribe
  • I've been thinking a lot about what I do read (when I get the chance to kick back and read, that is!). It occurs to me I tend to choose easy, non-threatening paperbacks. I'm realizing I'm missing out on great new novels because I'm afraid of reading anything disturbing/violent. It just upsets me so much. Example: I'd love to read the Alice Sebold novels. I was afraid the read The Lovely Bones because it sounded so sad and I was sure I'd be traumatized by the experience. Now she's got another book out, The Almost Moon, and I'm afraid to read that too. Anyone else a scaredy-cat like me?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 14th November 2007
  • I'm afraid, but for different reasons. My mind does not retain like it used to and I love falling asleep with a book. Only problem is I can't remember the next night what I had been reading. Argh. So lately I stick to, um, yes, I'll admit it though it kinda makes me blush, cheesy period romance novels. Ick, now I'm sweaty and nervous. I swear I love more in depth things but it seems all I can handle is the newspaper.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 14th November 2007
  • The Lovely Bones was based on a sad event and its aftermath, but it was a very good read. It wasn't frightening at all. Try it! You might be surprised.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Daisy on 4th December 2007
  • There was a point a few years ago when I could have sworn I could feel my brain atrophying. So I started writing book reviews, to force myself to think in new directions and to get reading again. Just the act of underlining a passage or jotting down a little note in the margins made me really focus on the book, and helped me notice things that I probably would have glanced over before...

My current faves: Terry Pratchett's "Making Money," and Ellis Avery's "The Teahouse Fire." Right now, I'm working on John Elder Robison's "Look Me In The Eye." They're all good!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 4th December 2007
  • Thanks, guys. I felt like that, Lylah, when I finished grad school. Like I was too tired to read anything challenging. Thanks for the recommendations.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 5th December 2007

Add a Reply