Group Discussions

This article was in the Globe this week... what do you think, ladies?

Subscribe
  • I saw this article in the Globe this week, and I'm curious... Would you consider bringing your infant to work with you? Would your company allow it? (Mine wouldn't -- they won't even consider subsidizing daycare, let alone have one on site -- but even if they let me bring my baby to work every day, I'm not sure I'd take them up on it...)

Here's an excerpt (click on it to get to the full article on Boston.com)

... When Matusovich returned to Farm Aid's Somerville headquarters from her maternity leave earlier this year, she did not return alone. With the blessing of her bosses and the agreement of her 11 co-workers, she brought Shailagh, now 6 months old, to share her office. While the baby slept in her car seat or gazed at a black-and-white dangling mobile, Matusovich did her work, sending e-mails, talking on the phone, attending meetings. ...

What do you think?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 16th November 2007
  • Hmm not sure that I would do that. Depends on the job a family owned farm business. Maybe, but I think I wouldn't after having 2 children. I love and enjoy my kids but you need down time and sometimes work is the only place you get it. I was a single mom many years ago and know how hard it is to get alone time. And even after being married and having a son...I still needed to work to get a break.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kim Begnaud on 16th November 2007
  • i dont think i could concentraite - i would always worry that my baby was disturbing someone and they just didnt want to say 'no' becasue of peer pressure. i dont know, i worry about stuff like that LOL

plus what happens once the kid is mobile?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 16th November 2007
  • I agree with you Kate! Mobile means hide the stapler, note pads and yeah excuse me that is my son in the background screaming his head off!lololoolol That would go over big time!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kim Begnaud on 16th November 2007
  • My youngest is 1, and he seems to think that naps are for sissies. Even as a tiny baby, there's no way he'd sit in his carseat and quietly look at mobiles, as the baby in the beginning of the article does. And Kate, excellent point about what happens once they're mobile... I can't even imagine the carnage!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 16th November 2007
  • Funny only time my son napped was at bed time!lolol
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kim Begnaud on 17th November 2007
  • I'm not sure I could juggle having a small child in my workspace on a regular basis. In the past, when my kids were smaller though, I did bring them to the office from time to time but rarely was it ever for a full day at work. I mostly did it when they were off from school and I just needed to be in the office for part of the day.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 17th November 2007
  • Also, I think having a baby/infant/toddler in the office on a daily basis would be incredibly distracting. I don't think I would be a big fan of a co-worker bringing their baby in every single day.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 17th November 2007
  • If I had the pleasure of having an outside office (which today I desperately want) I would not want the little ones under foot or connected to me. I would have felt differently when I had only one child but now I know I can't fully concentrate on work if the kids are around. And if someone had their child in the office as well...nope, wouldn't like it since they wouldn't be devoting the necessary time to work. When the kids are around they come first. When I don't have to care for them and I'm working then work comes first for that oh-so-brief amount of time. Work would never come first if they were there.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 19th November 2007

Add a Reply