Group Discussions

Advice for a would-be blogger?

Subscribe
  • No, it's not me - I still feel like a newbie sometimes, but with over 250 posts over here so far, I guess I'm really not.

But a friend has asked for some advice about setting up a blog, and she's a total novice...I'm not even sure she reads blogs. But she's recently relocated, and her old friends have asked her to start a blog so they can keep up with her and her family, and she doesn't know where to start.

I use Blogger as my platform, and I was going to suggest she try either that or Wordpress.com, since they're both free and not too hard to figure out - any preferences/biases out there?

But I think she ought to do some blog surfing and see what's out there before she gets going. I think her blog will pretty much be family/personal stuff (she's a SAHM right now, 2 school-aged kids), and I was curious about which blogs y'all might recommend as "research" for her.

I wanted to pick your brains about this topic, since I'd like to be very helpful to her and I'm sure there are things I wouldn't think of. What advice would you blogging WIMs have to share with someone who wants to get started? Thanks!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 19th November 2007
  • i have to say i did the same thing when started - and actually tried both blogger and wordpress. omg blogger is SO MUCH EASIER for a novice. And i am a techie type (though not a programmer) and wordpress was just a pain. but then that was after i had used blogger so maybe i am biased! so anyway, thats been my experience
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 20th November 2007
  • My first advice is to pick a publishing platform that is easy to use. In my opinion (and apparently Kate's) blogger is the winner there. I have been blogging for years and I still prefer the ease of blogger. As for researching blogs...I'd say keep it simple. Tell her to hit YOUR blogroll. From there she can explore the blogrolls on those blogs. It's a great big internet and it won't take her long to find things she likes and doesn't like about blogs she finds. Lastly, if I could only give her ONE piece of advice it would be this: anonymous blogs are oftentimes 'discovered' by people in our real lives. If you think you are talking smack about someone and they will never know simply because you are using an alias you are very wrong. Watch what you say on the internet. Once it is published it is there forever.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 20th November 2007

Add a Reply