Group Discussions

Another soup recipe?

Subscribe
  • My daughter is into soups and I need a new one in rotation - love to load them up with veggies for max impact - any ideas?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 4th December 2007
  • I love soup! I like tomatoes, but I'm not such a big fan of tomato soups. A little acidic for my liking. Creamy soups are nice. You can stir in anything to get that creamy effect - cream cheese, yogurt, evaporated milk, tofu.

Anyhoo, chick pea and artichoke heart soup is a good one when the pantry is bare and all you have left is canned goods.

One you might like is green bean and fennel soup.

3 cloves garlic

1 1/2 c chopped onion

3 T olive oil

3 large potatoes

3 c (28 oz can) chopped tomatoes

1 tsp dried thyme

1 lb green beans

2 c sliced fresh fennel bulb (1/4 in thick slices)

1 1/2 tsp grated orange peel

slosh of lemon juice

salt & pepper to taste

a few cups of water
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 4th December 2007
  • i am totally in awe that you guys actually MAKE soup! *applause*!!! i seriously have never been a part of any soup making that didnt involve opening a can and pouring into a bowl!!

more soup reipes! i just might have to print these out!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 4th December 2007
  • A friend of mine wrote this great article about his kids and making soup... he says it's from his "Golden Treasury of Tolerated Teen Meals."

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2007/06/13/ vegetable_soup/

My kids aren't very big into soups right now, but I like them on cold days or when I'm feeling under the weather. A few days ago, I made "Faux Pho," my take on that amazing Vietnamese beef soup...

I used some low-sodium beef stock as a base (no time to make good beef stock from scratch!) and infused it with lime, fresh ginger, sweet onion, and a dash of fish sauce. Add rice noodles, thinly sliced beef, fresh basil or mint, and fresh bean sprouts to make it into a quick and easy meal. The broth freezes well, so you can freeze it in 1 or 2-cup containers and thaw what you need, adding the other stuff once the broth is heated up.

One of my Husband's favorite soups is a sweet-potato and corn chowder that's very nutritious and pretty easy to whip up:

Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder

1 large or two small cans Bruce's yams (it must be Bruce's -- they're not too fiberous and taste the best. Luckily, they're available at most grocery stores. Fresh sweet potatoes are great, but a huuuuge pain in the backside to prep for this recipe.)

fresh corn, cut off the cob (or use frozen sweet corn -- Trader Joe's has a great one)

4 to 6 thick strips of smokey bacon

4 cups homemade chicken broth (or a low-salt pre-made version)

1/2 large sweet onion

canola oil

salt

pepper

sour cream or plain yogurt, for garnish

Peel the onion, chop it into chunks, and mince it very finely (or puree it in a food processer). Set aside.

Open the yams and drain them in a colander. Rinse them under cool water, and drain again.

Cut the bacon into rashers (tiny strips). Put them in a deep-sided, heavy soup pot, then put the pot onto medium-high heat and allow the bacon to render out its fat and sizzle gently.

Once there's a bit of bacon grease at the bottom of the pot and the bacon is lightly browned but still meaty-looking, add the minced or pureed onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion starts to turn golden.

Add the chicken broth, stir well, and bring to a simmer.

Add the sweet potatoes and the corn, and heat through. Turn off the heat.

Using a stick blender, puree the soup in the pot. If you don't have a stick blender, very, very carefully scoop cups of the soup into a blender, and puree it. Work in batches -- that's a lot of soup you've got there.

Once the soup is completely smooth and velvety, return it to the pot, set the heat to medium, and heat it through. Taste, add salt and/or pepper, if needed.

Serve at once, with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt on top (thicken the plain yogurt by draining it through a cheesecloth or mesh sieve for about 10 mintutes).
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 4th December 2007
  • Thank you, both sounds really good - I have to confess something. I've NEVER used fennel before - does it have a really strong flavor?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 5th December 2007
  • We just had a 16 bean soup this week and the girls love it b/c of all of the different beans. You can buy the bag w/ the bean already mixed and some even have seasoning packets.

Soak the beans over night or, for a quickie, boil in 4 cups water for 2-3 minutes then set aside for an hour. Drain.

Sautee onions, carrots, celery and any other veggies you may want to toss in

Add 6 cups stock

Simmer until beans are soft

Add one can diced tomatoes and whatever seasoning your want- chili powder, cayene, tobasco, oregano, etc. I mix it up b/c I make it often in the winter.

One thing I like to do, when I don't make it vegitarian, is add ham. If we've had a ham on sunday, I throw the bone and leftover meat in and yummy. Also, it's great with cubed cheese, like jarlsburg.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 5th December 2007
  • Mandy, that sounds so good! I have a ham bone in my freezer, so I am going to try this one night this week. This New England weather is perfect for good soups...

I don't think I can even name 10 types of beans, let alone 16. Anyone know what they are? Just curious...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 5th December 2007
  • I feel like I've put this one up before, but...?

Anyway, I just made this a few nights ago and it keeps getting better as you eat the leftovers!

Onion

potatoes, cubed

Chicken Broth (canned is fine)

butternut squash soup base (I like Trader Joe's- they sell it as prepared soup, but I like to doctor it up)

broccoli, bite size

cauliflower, bite size

carrots, sliced

celery, sliced

canned corn

canned dark red kidney beans (rinsed WELL)

canned garbanzo beans

whatever else you like

Sautee the onion in butter or olive oil in the pot in which you'll make the soup (so it should be large). When onions start to soften, add celery and carrots and sautee just a bit longer. Pour in stock and soup base (I use 1 small can of stock and two large boxes of base). Throw in potatoes and boil for about 10 minutes. Put in cauliflower and broccoli and boil until potatoes are done. Put in all the canned stuff cook until everything's warmed through. Salt and pepper to taste.

That's it!

It's also good with parmesan cheese grated on top and a piece of sourdough toast on the side. YUM. And my PICKY 2 year old loves it.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by heels on 5th December 2007
  • Kate: ya know, soup from scratch is actually really easy because A) it's hard to burn it, B) it's impossible to overcook it, and C) you don't even need a recipe - just toss in whatever you have!

Lylah: I'm going to try that corn/sweet potato one. That's a new one.

Nataly: Fennel does not have a strong flavor. I'm trying to think of a word to describe it... Um... Thinking...Failing... Maybe something like celery, but more substantial in texture.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 5th December 2007
  • Oh, these are so good - making a list now
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 5th December 2007

Add a Reply