Group Discussions

Do you tend to be hyper-critical of the way you look?

Subscribe
  • I heard a conversation between 2 women recently that got me thinking - are there women out there who are happy with how they look even if it's not, well, perfect?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 5th December 2007
  • I try not to fall into that trap. I try to be happy with what I am. I worry that my daughter will grow up to be one of those self-conscious looks-obsessed girls. I hope if I set a good example for her in terms of being happy with myself (my mother didn't for me!), that will help.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 5th December 2007
  • I most definitely do not have a perfect body. Two babies (one weighing in at 10 pounds) left my belly button looking more like the grand canyon. And I can't even begin to describe the stretch marks! EEK!!! I don't hate my body though. I wouldn't strip off my duds and flaunt it to the world though. It isn't perfect but it is what it is.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 5th December 2007
  • 10 pounds, Kathy?! Wow!

Diane, I am so glad you said that -- ever since my daughter was born I've been much more aware of things I say in her presence about food - e.g. mommy doesn't eat pasta isn't something I want to emphasize -- or how I look. I think it's been a great motivator for me to just accept the way I look and be ok with it.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 5th December 2007
  • I try SO HARD not to care, but I really don't like the way I look, even though I see other women who are very similar and think they look awesome. I keep trying to tell myself that it's more about attitude and that I'll look good if I think I look good, but it's not quite working yet.

I don't have a daughter, but I do my very best to not say anything negative about myself in front of my son. Boys can have serious image issues, too.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by heels on 11th December 2007
  • I doubt anyone other than my husband would know it, but I am extremely self conscious about my looks. I was raised to not worry about physical appearance, but somehow it has seeped in. Don't get me wrong...I don't usually do anything drastic, but the thought is always in the back of my head.

In fact I was talking to my husband yesterday about this very subject. I am extremely self conscious about my hair, but I have certain principles when it comes to beauty that I am trying to uphold (namely, I try not to change my body artificially or use chemicals on it...does anyone else relate to this or am I just an odd ball?). Anyway, I'm trying to reconcile the two. Wanting to be the epitome of western beauty, and sticking to my principles. Sometime the outcome can be disappointing on both fronts.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 12th December 2007
  • mamajama- I know what you mean. I don't spend money on lots of beauty products, I don't "do" my hair, I don't wear makeup most days; and all of that is okay with me. Sometimes, though, I find myself thinking "Why do all of these other women look so much more polished and perfect than I do?" and realize that's it's because they DO do those things. And while I don't look down on them for doing that, and, in fact, sometimes admire their beauty skills, I also don't want to let those things control my life that much. I like being able to jump out of the shower, get dressed, yank a comb through my hair, and run out the door. The rest of it just takes so much time that I'd much rather use elsewhere.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by heels on Monday
  • I'm pretty self-conscious about my looks but it seems that other people see these things differently than I do. Over the last couple of years, I've kind of adopted the thought that this is how God made me and he must have had his reasons. So I do what I can to take care of my body (working out, eating right, and getting the appropriate amount of sleep). I will admit to coloring my gray hair, though. Both of my parents were completely gray in their early 30s and I was headed there quickly (and not ready to accept that yet). My color is very close to my natural color (pre-gray color, that is).

I talk to my daughters pretty frequently about body image just to make sure they understand that we are all made differently and that's how it should be. My 14 year old is 5'6" and about 100 lbs. She gets a lot of comments about having an eating disorder because she is so thin. She's naturally thin anyway but runs cross country and track at school (around 30 miles a week) so she gets lots of exercise. High school girls are just mean and don't help to promote a positive self-image.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by April Mims, Career Coach on 6th January 2008

Add a Reply