Group Discussions

The search for jeans that fit

Subscribe
  • Check it out: NY Times "Well" blog post "Finding perfect jeans for an imperfect body."

I'm not really interested in splurging on expensive jeans, even though devotees swear by their superior fit. However, I was excited to see that manufacturers may finally be getting more creative in their sizing options for women. They mention Lane Bryant's new fits for straighter vs curvier body types. Wish all brands would do that. My problem is jeans that fit me all over are too tight on my waist, ones that are comfy on my waist are too baggy on my butt. Ugh!

Anyone want to recommend brands?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 5th December 2007
  • Thanks for that link!

Jeans are such an individual thing. But I'm like you, Diane, about not wanting to go for those expensive "premium" jeans. However, I've got to have stretch denim now that I'm over 40!

I've had good luck in the past with Lands' End - they have a lot of sizing and fit options, and you can even custom-build a pair for not too high a price. Since I'm extra-petite, length is a challenge for me - along with all the other "fit" challenges jeans already pose! - and they have some styles that can be inseamed to your specification, as well as many pre-inseamed options in Petite, Regular, and Tall.

I recently found Lee Custom Fit jeans at Kohl's, and snapped up several pairs. The waistband adjusts, they've got a little spandex in the fabric, and I'm really happy with the fit and feel.

Wrangler makes a women's jeans line called Aura that I've only found in western-wear stores, and my experience with them was good.

I'm sure other people's suggestions will be much more interesting than mine!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 5th December 2007
  • My favorite jeans are from White House Black Market. They weren't cheap... but they don't break the bank either. And they have lasted a long time.

I have trouble because I have an hourglass shape... jeans are always big on the waist if they fit right in the thighs and hips. I usually end up with jeans sliding down my hips... or sitting too high on my waist.

That said... when I found my WHBM pair... I fell in love. They were worth all eighty-some dollars.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Yes, Mommy has to work today on 5th December 2007
  • Well, I agree YMHTWToday: if you love an item of clothing so much, it's totally worth spending lots of $$ on.

Thanks, Florinda: they just opened a Kohl's in my town. I will check it out!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 6th December 2007
  • After years of wearing jeans that gaped in one spot while encasing me in another, I finally decided to spend 30+ minutes at the Gap. I went in and said, I need Jeans, I think I'm this size, bring me everything that you have. After 15 or more on-and-offs, I finally figured out that I loved the new-boot-cut, ankle length.

It was worth the time.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kat on 7th December 2007
  • I second Gap - I have some GREAT jeans from there - they have different types of fits.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 10th December 2007
  • I third the GAP..I am in their new FLARE Jeans.

They were $25 and fit me perfectly. I went looking for more online & unfortunately they were $49... I have a short torso and long legs. This is why I usually do low rise, which fits me like "normal", but low rise leaves a big gap in the rear. The FLARE jeans are perfection.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 7th January 2008
  • 95% of my jeans are GAP, the rest are jeans I bought at Marshalls that are hollister or something like that. I don't think I've ever spent more than 25 dollars on jeans
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryM on 8th January 2008

Add a Reply