Group Discussions

How much sleep do you get?

Subscribe
  • Today we were discussing sleep. Everyone in my office was shocked that I go to bed at 11 and get up at 3:30, EVERY DAY. In fact, I'm shocked as well! That's just the reality of my life! How much sleep do you get? Is it enough? Any coping ideas for when you just can't get enough?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Yes, Mommy has to work today on 5th December 2007
  • Well, my understanding is that 1) Americans do not get enough sleep, 2) it is bad for your health/work life/relationships to be sleep-deprived, but 3) there is variability in how much each individual needs.

From my teens to my mid-twenties I averaged 6-7 hours, and it wasn't enough. Now I get 7-8 and I feel so much better. I can think clearer, I'm more positive, and more motivated. If baby gets me up in the night (okay, that's still most nights) I try to nap and make up the rest time when she naps at lunch time. However, napping is difficult -- okay, impossible -- in an office environment. Could you try and fit in some catnaps at your desk at lunchtime? Or in your car? (I know someone who napped in her car during lunch break when she was pregnant!)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 5th December 2007
  • Wow, Yes Mommy has to work today (we need an acronym for you, by the way - I thought I got little sleep, you take the prize. Are you tired? Do you catch up on weekends? Or has your body adjusted?

I get about 5 solid hours of sleep on most nights. It's not enough, I am tired a lot, but that's the reality right now. Some nights I get around 6-7, and that's a luxury for me. I know long term this is a bad idea, for health, weight, stress, etc.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 5th December 2007
  • I get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. I think it is definitely enough and I agree with Diane. I think getting enough sleep makes me a happier, more motivated and more positive-minded person. I can't think of anything that I should be doing that is more important to me than getting enough sleep. Especially when I know that NOT getting enough sleep makes me feel like total crap.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KathyHowe on 5th December 2007
  • wow i dont know how you do that. i can live on that ammount of sleep for maybe 2 days and then i would start falling asleep at bad times like red lights! but then my dad is a 5 hour a night guy and always has been. i however, require 8-9 hours but generally can survive (and do) on 7 as long as i have a catch up day with 9 hours at least once a week!

i agree with the other positive folks here! maybe we are so happy and positive because we get sleep? ha!

of course, i dont have time to do other healthy things like cook or exercise, but to me sleep is more important (at the moment)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 5th December 2007
  • Yes Mommy, why do yuo have to get up at 3:30 every day? I'm curious!

I get probably about 6 or 7 hours of sleep a day, but it's almost always interrupted sleep... someone is always needing a bottle or having a bad dream or kicking off their covers or being an insomniac or having an accident. My Husband could sleep through a nuclear attack, so if one of the children wakes up -- or if our dog spies a deer -- I'm up. And my husband gets up around 5 a.m. for work, and I'd say 75 percent of the time he wakes me up by accident when he gets up...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 5th December 2007
  • I get a lot of sleep. about 8-9 hours. I love it. I can definitely tell when I haven't had enough, but it can go the other way for me too. Any more than 9 hours and I feel groggy all day. Until I had a baby I couldn't nap...my body just wouldn't let me, so I'm really glad that I can now. Otherwise I would be up at 5 everyday and in bed at midnight. I used to need much less sleep, but I think breastfeeding wears me out (or at least that's what I tell myself). Yes Mommy, that sounds tough...I'm with everybody else and want to know how you do that on a consistent basis.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 5th December 2007
  • I get an average of 3-4 hours of sleep a night. Like Lylah, between someone unable to sleep, or the baby getting up, or whatever other drama happens . . . then my oldest gets up at 5:45 to get ready for school and catch his bus. He's able to get himself out the door, but I like to "sneak a kiss" before he leaves.

I could adjust my bedtime and get more sleep that way, but my husband is often home late (10ish) and I just need some time either to myself, or with him!

My body is so programmed that I don't know any different . . .I think. I know it's not healthy and one of these days, I'll go back to a normal 6-8 hours, but for now it's not too bad. . .
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Naomi on 6th December 2007
  • Now that my son sleeps through the night (WOOT!), I get about 6-7 hours per night, with maybe a little more on the weekends. But I'm TIRED. I can fall asleep anywhere, anytime. I run best on 9-10 hours a night, but I'll never get it!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by heels on 6th December 2007
  • Wow. I do not know how you 3 - 5 hour a night people do it. I am 100% sure I'd be psychotic within a month. That does happen with some people with prolonged sleep deprivation, and I, for sure, would be one of them.

My need for sleep changes/varies over my monthly cycle: I get less when I'm PMS-ing (though I need more, I just don't get it); I need less when I'm midcycle and have tons of energy. The week of my period I sleep long and hard, making up for the week before. Though it fluctuates, I average 8 hours -- and that's what I need.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryP on 6th December 2007

Add a Reply