Group Discussions

Do you call yourself a working mom?

Subscribe
  • I had an interesting conversation this weekend with a mom who runs a small business from home. We were talking about Work It, Mom! - well, naturally - and she said something that surprised me - she said that she does not consider herself a working mom. She said that working moms in her mind are those who go off to work in an office - not work from home.

Do you feel this way? Do you disagree?

I was genuinely surprised, so curious what you guys think.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on Monday
  • In all honesty, I consider all moms working moms. I don't know any that don't have very full plates. But I don't think that's what you're asking. I definitely do think that working from home qualifies me as a working mom. I have deadlines, a paycheck, and a schedule. What's the difference?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on Monday
  • I telecommute from home, and I definitely consider myself a working mom. I do the exact same things from home that I would do from my cube--but definitely not dressed as nicely!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by txzgal on Monday
  • I agree, I think we are all working moms if we are a MOM!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Dawn on Monday
  • Hmm... well I agree that all moms are hardworking. I felt ready to hit someone the time they asked me "So when are you going back to your real job?" But I don't really call myself a working mom yet. I'm working... but my business has made about $1 so far. I think I'll call myself working when I feel like I'm contributing at least enough to cover the amount I'm spending! ... but then I'm probably being too hard on myself since I definitely do a lot of work starting things up.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Rose on Monday
  • I agree with the comment of ALL moms being working moms. Even when I had no income I was a working mom!
  • Really interesting responses - thank you! - so do you guys feel that our tagline - Helping working moms juggle life - might appear too limiting and not be inviting to moms who say are just freelancing a bit or starting up businesses from home?

I've heard this from a few moms now, and although I think that however much you work you're a working mom, it's made me wonder...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on Wednesday
  • Hmmm.... I'm not sure... because even though I don't go around calling myself a working mom... I still came to this site, because I will soon. I guess at some level I felt it was still a match.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Rose on Wednesday
  • I think the tag line is perfect. I also think that OF COURSE mothers who work from home are working moms. Good heavens.

I think it's arguable that sometimes we WAHM's end up doing double (triple?) duty, because not only are there the children and the paid work, but, because we're at home, we can easily end up doing the bulk of the housework and the errands, too, because we're "at home, anyway."

So, yeah, we're 'working moms'. How bizarre to think otherwise.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryP on 24th December 2007
  • After spending all of my kid's lives working at an office, now that I'm working at home, I still unquestionably consider myself a working mom. Now I get the benefits of being a stay at home mom too (being home when my kids get home from school) in addition to having a fulfilling career. I think the problem is that everyone else thinks because I don't go to an office anymore that I'm available all day. Because I run my own business, I do have more flexibility during the day but I still have things that I want/need to accomplish during that time. I'm getting a lot of requests to help out at the school or church or whatever. I still have to be very cautious about over scheduling my time.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by April Mims, Career Coach on 24th December 2007

Add a Reply