Group Discussions

Who's looking after the kids?

Subscribe
  • Here's the scenario: It's the weekend. You're home. Your spouse is home. The kids are home (and they're little). Who's doing more of the childcare, you or your spouse?
  • That depends on... is a Football game on? lol... we split pretty evenly for the most part. I however, am probably doing laundry and dishes as well!
  • Easy - me! But, my hubby is probably busy doing the laundry and dishes, so it works out.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KC on Saturday
  • Look after them? You're supposed to look after them? (ha, ha!)
  • When they were very small (different marriage)? Me. No question.

Now they're teens (and up), second marriage? I do my kids, he does his, mostly. Not in any sort of unfriendly or resentful way, but because the children respond best to "their" parent. It's natural and easier that way.

Having said that, they're teens. They don't require the sort of hands-on parenting of small children. (Little kids have simple problems and need almost constant tending-to; teens tend to need only intermittent tending-to, but when they have problems, they're bigger and more intense! You win some, you lose some! I loved being a parent of wee ones, and now I'm really enjoying being a parent of teens!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryP on 24th December 2007
  • My situation is very similar to MaryP's, and for basically the same reason. This weekend, and until Christmas morning, the younger kids (my husband's, ages 8 and 13) are with their mom. My kid's 23 and just came into town for Christmas week, but he takes care of himself.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 24th December 2007
  • We switch off. One of us does the housework and runs errands and the other takes care of babyjama.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 25th December 2007

Add a Reply