Group Discussions

Home Depot vs Lowes

Subscribe
  • Do you prefer Home Depot or Lowes? Is there even a difference between the two? Why don't they just make it easier and merge into one company? (Howes?? Lowe Depot??)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 2nd January 2008
  • I call it "Home Despot." That store always seems to get my money!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 2nd January 2008
  • ROFL 'howes'!? i love it! we call it home de- pot (all letters pronounced)

really around us the difference is that HD is messy and unorganized and the people working there have NO IDEA where anything is or what they carry. but they are closer.

the Lowes is the complete opposite... farther away and clean and organized and knowlegable...

not sure if this is the case with all of them (dobutful) but i prefer lowes.

that said - they do carry different stuff. one brand/model of a fixture will often be at one and not the other...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 2nd January 2008
  • Lylah, you have it all wrong- I am the one and only Home Despot!

I worked at Home Depot for a few months in the paint department. I didn't love it, didn't hate it. I knew people who worked at Lowes with very similar feelings. The cleanliness, organization, and knowledge of staff is totally different store to store. They do carry different products and some people had very definite ideas about which of those were CLEARLY superior!

I know that, despite their public emphasis on do-it-yourself home improvement, Home Depot really caters to contractors. I don't know if Lowes is the same way.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by heels on 2nd January 2008
  • Yeah, it's true that it differs from store to store. Here in Tallahassee, the nearest Lowes is terrible, the HD is better. But they may have a new manager at the Lowes because I had to pop in for something one day recently and they FREAKED me out greeting me at every turn, being helpful and even admiring my baby. I wondered if I'd wandered into an alternate universe or something...

I read a few months ago that the HD is going to sink money into staffing, which is where they're losing customers because it's often impossible to find someone knowledgeable to answer questions!! (Of course, I'm sure you were fab, heels.)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 4th January 2008
  • Well, I have to say that I am a pretty loyal Home Depot person, although I do prefer Lowe's cleanliness and organization to Home Depot's " throw it in the middle of the floor and maybe they will trip on it and buy it" techniques.

I worked as an assistant store manager with HD for years, and they treated me very well. It was one of those jobs that I loved so much, that I'd just lose track of time! There was always something to do, and I loved every minute of it.

I do know what you mean though. When Bob Nardelli came in as CEO he began making a lot of changes, - one being no longer having the professionals in each department. It really hurt us. We were doing a lot of cross training, - which basically meant everyone knew a little about everything, but not enough to be of any real assistance.

Things are in the process of changing back to when the original owners/founders were in the CEO positions, and hopefully we will see some definite improvements in customer service in the near future. I still keep in touch with everyone there. What can I say? Home Depot won my heart years ago and I'm still bleeding orange!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Naturalsoycandles on 22nd January 2008
  • Great question! I have never before had an appropriate venue in which to air my very strong opinion about this!

Back up alarms - it seems like every Home Depot in Texas uses their forklifts during working hours, so all you hear is the fork lift alarms. i think the Loweses' here do their stocking off hours or something because i never hear them there. i actually choose Lowes'es based on the quiet factor - I would even pay 5 dollars more on my total purchases to not have the ringing in my ears after I leave. It's the silence premium. and to put all of this in perspective - I work on a CONSTRUCTION SITE every ding dang day, and it still is not as ear piercing as a Home Depot.

Of course, maybe the Lowe'ses's guys ARE using their forklifts during the day, and some day I will be run over because i just didn't hear 'em comin'.....
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mom at Work on 8th March 2008
  • THe Home Depot in New York are pretty bad and customer service is right along with "BAD" but the Lowes in NJ are awesome so I would say Lowes.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on 8th March 2008
  • I like having both because they carry different things. My husband and I categorize it this way: if you want to build the house, go to HD. If you want to finish the house, go to Lowes. Our HD has some great people and it's within walking distance so we tend to shop there first. Lowes is about 5 minutes away from preschool so I usually work it into my errands. They used to have very poor staffing but it seems to be getting better. I've actually seen employees on occasion. HD used to staff their departments with experts, at least one per department, then that got too expensive and they gradually started letting those people go. Now the new CEO is trying to go back to experts. Our local HD does have some problems with internal communications. I've attended a few workshops where there's been a big sign about it at the entrance but nobody seems to be prepared or aware there's a workshop. To some extent I don't mind. If I have my coffee shop cocoa and someone else is putting Pidge to bed, I'm happy! And their guilt tends to make the freebies better.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenns on 8th March 2008

Add a Reply