Group Discussions

My Crazy Carpool

Subscribe
  • Actually-my EX carpool.

I had to discontinue my participation in a carpool yesterday when one of the riders got very angry about being asked to wear her seatbelt. This was after she had been informed of the DC "Click it or Ticket" law which says the driver can be fined $50 and given 2 points for any unbelted passenger.

I have witnessed and even participated in some absurd conversations, and this one was at the top of the list. It went something like this:

A-Can you please put on your seatbelt?

B-WHY?!!

A-Please... just put your seatbelt on.

B-I have to follow YOUR rules now??? Ha!

A-Yes. While you are in my car. Please put your seatbelt on.

B-Why should I have to? You didn't ask me to do it before!!!

A-Well, as you know, I was recently in a car accident and after going through that experience and in speaking with people @ the insurance company....let's just say - I am a lot more educated about these things.

B-Yeah right. WHATEVER.

A- ((silent and not moving the car.))

B-I am going to do WHATEVER I want in my own car.

A-((Not moving the car)) The hostility is not necessary. All I am asking is that you put on your seatbelt.

B-((Puts the seatbelt on)) You know A....you need to find another way to work. You have too many rules.

(OK..so I previously asked her to stop filing her fingernails in my car. However, the seatbelt law is imposed by the gov't - not me-LOL!)

That morning, I was determined not to have to deal with this person ever again. Luckily, I was able to find a vanpool almost right away by using some contacts at work. I sent an email informing everyone that today would be my last day in the carpool and thanking them for allowing me to ride to and from The Building with them over the past few months.

I did not have to take these folks home because I was yelled at and rudely told to "find another way to get to work" but I did not leave them stranded becasue I am always classy, never assy...Check this out: On the ride back B DID NOT put her seatbelt on. I am thinking this was done purposely to incite another confrontation, but I did not bite. I simply dropped her off @ her car and drove away.

This morning I found out that I am the FIFTH person in the past year and a half that has abruptly left that carpool.

Whew! Now I feel better...Thanks for reading this!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 9th January 2008
  • Good for you to sticking to the high road!

The mean part of me kind of hope she gets caught and fined sometime soon...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 9th January 2008
  • That's what I was thinking.

I spoke with someone today who said that she told them: It wasn't being asked to put her seat belt on, it was my "tone".

My take on it is this: If it was my "tone", why didn't she say "You don't have to be rude about it." or some other reference to my tone being offensive during our little exchange? During the exchange it appeared that she simply did not want to wear a seat belt.

I seriously think that anyone she told this tale to would first ask "OK-so why wouldn't you put your seat belt on?" So, she had to make up the story about my "tone" to say she had been wronged in some way.
  • people are crazy! good for you for getting out of that situation. yuck! awesome that you carpool though! i havent ever been able to do that... i think with the right group it could be really fun!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 9th January 2008
  • It could be fun with the right group, but with the wrong group it is pure, unadulturated hell-LOL!
  • oh man, I'm sorry that you are no longer part of a carpool. Not this particular one though. Will it be hard to find another? How long is the trip?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryM on 10th January 2008
  • Yay! That carpool was TOXIC. I'm glad you're out of it.

P.S. Guess who?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by HabitualOffender on 10th January 2008
  • Oh my gosh. That is awful. How rude of her. One funny thing though, is that I thought you were talking about a kids carpool at first. I was thinking "how old is this young lady that she thinks she can talk to adults that way?" Funny...it does seem very childish to not put your seatbelt on when someone is giving you a ride. Just be glad you don't have to drive that sixth grader around anymore
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 10th January 2008
  • Well, I am not sorry I am out of that carpool at all.

I found a vanpool right away-actually within a few hours of being at work that very morning.

With the vanpool, I never have to drive into DC. I save money on gas while avoiding the wear and tear on my vehicle. The vanpool is also FREE for me-My employer gives me a transit subsidy which fully covers the cost of the vanpool. It's a win-win-win...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 10th January 2008
  • Habit? LOL!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 10th January 2008

Add a Reply