Group Discussions

New here!

Subscribe
  • Hi my name is Allison, I'm from Phoenix, Arizona. I'm a working mom to 4 kids....a 17 year old daughter, 14 year old son, 11 year old daughter & an 8 year old son. Parenting is not a new thing for me obviously, but teen challenges have been a struggle at times, and returning to work has been both challenging & rewarding. I feel like I've entered a new era of my life, and while it can be stressful, I'm enjoying it for the most part. I hope to get to meet all of you soon. I'm still quite young, 37, as I had my children at an early age. But I feel better than I ever have in my life right now.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on 11th January 2008
  • welcome allyaz!! so glad you are here! My son is only a 18 months, but i am sure i can learn a lot from you! wow! 4 kids!! do they really help entertain each other? i used to say i wanted 4 but now i am thinking wow one is a lot more than i realized, maybe i am good with one LOL
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 11th January 2008
  • Hi Allison - welcome! I've been a working mom and "juggler" for 20 years now. My son's 23, out of college, and working now too, and I like to think I've been a good example for him. (But like you, I started young - I'm 43. Having mostly-grown kids before you've grown too old yourself has definite advantages!) I'm also now a working stepmom of two, a 13-YO girl and an 8-YO boy. After being away from teen angst for a few years, I have a solid ten years ahead! It's really not that bad, though the challenges are definitely different than they are with preschoolers.

Kate - One was fine with me for a long time! I have three now, but none are with me all the time and the younger ones aren't starting from scratch.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 11th January 2008
  • Hi Allison,

Congrats to you for getting out there again. I hope this new chapter works well for you. It probably won't be too long before you are running the show where you are working....4 kids...you defintely know how to juggle things and organize.

I had a career for 17 years. I am the opposite of you. Had kids a little later. I was 36 with my first. So I know what it is to work with a child and now stay at home. Staying home is different kind of tough. I AM EXHAUSTED ALL THE TIME!!!!! Days I love hearing "mommy" and days I want to SCREAM when I hear "mommeeeeee" . I have a 3 1/2 yr old and 15 month old.

It's great that you are out there doing for YOU and it's always nice to hear when people are happy and feeling good.

Best of Luck.
  • Oh - and you look like a teen yourself)
  • Welcome & Hi - I am new too. Technically speaking I have a 7 year old but that can change at any given time - we often host youth exchange kids from Rotary so my household changes from family of 3 to family of 4 now & then. Last year I had a 16 year old German boy, year before 17 year old French daughter - who will forever BE my daughter we've been over to see her and she's been back once.

Having teenagers is a challenge both mentall and physically with all their activities.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Pammy on 12th January 2008
  • Welcome! My three are 22 (girl), 18 (boy), and 14 (girl). The first teen was tough. Either I've learned a LOT along the way, or my third is just a way more easy-going kid than her older sister (either could be possible...), but I'm loving having teens now.

The biggest thing for me has been learning to say "Okay, then! Work it out yourself!" It was a shock when my eldest started pushing me out of the center of her life; now I kind of like my position on the edges, cheering them on! (And when it really matters? They still come to me!)
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryP on 3rd February 2008
  • Hello Everybody! Hi Allison! I'm new here as well, and really enjoying this community! Congratulations on getting back out in the "working world." My kids are 15, 13 and 9 (going on 19!). I've been a single mom to them for many years and we're all pretty close. It's been a little challenging for me to accept how grown my 2 oldest kids are. With that being said though, I'm starting to have a little bit of time for me, which is nice.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by BlapherMJ on 27th February 2008
  • Quoting: Yvette
    Oh - and you look like a teen yourself)

That's my 17 year old daughter...not me, lol.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on 17th March 2008

Add a Reply