Group Discussions

What Was She Thinking???!!!

Subscribe
  • Ever had to watch someone @ work receive an award that was rightfully yours...but to add insult to injury-the person deserved NO award whatsoever?

Boy, was I PISSED.

The manager in question is either deaf, dumb, blind, or all three.

Luckily I am no longer working for her-but it still stung to watch a multi smoke breaking, idea-stealing, dishonest, unprofessional co-worker get an award.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 14th January 2008
  • How frustrating and aggravating! I've beent here... it is rotten. At least you're not working for that manager any more, but I know, it doesn't take the sting away...

Hang in there! Keep up your good work!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 14th January 2008
  • I remember once one of my colleagues got promoted, after being at the company for just a few months. Our boss's boss came over to my office to tell me that this wasn't meant to slight me and that I was next in line. Was this supposed to make me feel better?

Totally feel your pain, Uhura, and it's good you don't work for her.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 14th January 2008
  • I had a similar conversation with this same manager after she gave out a cash award to everyone that worked on a project other than me including the person I had just finished training. EVERYONE was stunned.

She came over to my cube immediately after the meeting and said she had "something special planned" for me.

This was back in July ...

I never saw it (the special something).

And now this.

I was livid. I hope to Christ that it did not show on my face.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 14th January 2008
  • You're better than I am, Uhura. I sooo would have said something to the person who got the award. Even if I did it in jest it would have been pretty blunt like, 'shall we take turns holding that thing?' or 'I have this great idea, why don't you jot it down and maybe you could win another award?' Oh, I wouldn't have been nice and kept it to myself. And I'd sure be bringing these things up in a review, something along the lines of 'i'd like to be recognized for my work' but that I would be much nicer about. I think.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 14th January 2008
  • wow that is amazing - why do you still work there?! is the boss you work for now good at recognizing you for your work?

you handeled it well!! i like Mandy's suggestion of asking to be recognized for your work! i might have to snag that idea
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 14th January 2008
  • I don't still work "there" (for her) but we're in the same Division so when there are Division level meetings we'll be there together....which is why I saw this happen.

It's the manager's responsibility to ensure equitable and fair treatment to the staff. I blame the manager more than the person who received an award she did not earn. The truth is that this woman is a $hitty manager. Point blank. Period.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 15th January 2008
  • oh my previous employer used to do this on a regular basis

ARGH!!!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryM on 15th January 2008
  • Mary- Did you ever find out why?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 15th January 2008
  • I don't know I guess because she didn't want her clients to know that some 'uneducated girl' was doing all the work lol.

It's weird it was a tiny company, they never gave praise to me, but other people who wouldn't get their work done and would unload on me got props.

Now I work at a HUGE company and people here are gracious and thankful all the time. It's taken me a while to adjust.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryM on 18th January 2008

Add a Reply