Group Discussions

"Green" decorating

Subscribe
  • I've seen a lot of press lately about eco-friendly options in decorating - bamboo, organic fibers, reclaimed wood, VOCs, etc. Honestly, a lot of it's over my head. Do any of you consider this when you're out shopping or planning home decorating projects?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by designmom on 15th January 2008
  • This is a great question...and one I've been meaning to ask the group myself!! For example, I noticed that Pottery Barn has now brought out a fairly extensive eco-friendly line called Eco Chic. Crate and Barrel has some similar stuff, including, I believe, a sofa that's upholstered with non-toxic, organic materials.

Yes, I have been thinking about it. I am going to repaint my kitchen in the spring and I think I'll look into eco/people-friendly paints.

Earlier in 2007 we were thinking of redoing the kitchen floor, too. We had to nix that plan because we had to redo part of the roof instead. That cost big bucks, so no new floor! But we were thinking of going with Marmoleum - the new linoleum. It is eco-friendly - non-toxic, hypoallergenic and biodegradable.

As for that roof...we actually went with the new Cool Roofing instead of the old traditional shingles. Cool Roofing is energy-efficient because it repels heat in this hot climate (Florida). It is also more eco-friendly because it can be resealed every few years, whereas shingles or asphalt roofs must be all torn up and dumped somewhere. So going with Cool Roofing eliminates a lot of landfill.

I'm also looking for new furniture, but I just don't think I can afford the kind of stuff I mentioned above. I mean, I'm just not going to spend $1,500 - $2,000 and up on a sofa. Just not happening! Ever!

Isn't it crazy that we even need all this in the first place? I mean, I was absolutely shocked when I started learning about the chemicals they spray on upholstery fabrics. Yikes. It boggles the mind to think what it's doing to our health/our children's health.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 15th January 2008
  • I agree that a lot of that stuff is complicated and hard to figure out. It's definitely difficult to find something that looks good, and meets your standard of ethics, and will fit into your budget. We are also acquiring new furniture. We just bought a new cabinet, and while it is not made of any of the new eco friendly products, it is a nice cabinet. In the past, we have spent less on furniture and had it not last long. This time we spent more money and got something that we'll be able to use for years and years. I guess I feel good about this because I know that we are saving materials by not buying something cheap that will only last six months to a year and then end up in a landfill.

Other than that, we're receiving hand me down furniture from relatives at the moment, and either selling or giving away the stuff that we have. Hopefully we'll be able to keep some things from going to the dump (at least for a while).
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 15th January 2008
  • Yeah, we have reached that point, too. The cheaper stuff is just not worth it.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 17th January 2008
  • I just do a lot of research on the furniture I buy before purchased! Check out this post http://epochbydesign.com/blog/the-benefits-of-bamboo/ or blog http://epochbydesign.com/blog/category/eco-friendly-2/ for ideas on eco-friendly furniture. If you have any links to share, I'd love to see those too!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by KMunsell on 29th December 2011

Add a Reply