Group Discussions

healthy dinner - salmon with wheat pasta and spinach

Subscribe
  • ok, i didn't make this one up. We saw it on Everyday Italian on FoodTV and my husband made it the other night. Didn't take him too long to put together and we both loved it (and he's not a huge fan of fish). This is a copy and paste from the site, but we skipped the capers and salt (low sodium diet) and it was still good.

-----------------------------------------------

1/2 pound whole-wheat spaghetti pasta

1 clove garlic, minced

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning

1 tablespoon olive oil

4 (4-ounce) pieces salmon

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

3 tablespoons capers

1 lemon, zested

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Add the garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine.

Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Add the fish to the pan and cook until medium-rare, about 2 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the fish. Remove the salmon from the pan.

Add the basil, capers, lemon zest, and lemon juice to the spaghetti mixture and toss to combine. Set out 4 serving plates or shallow bowls. Place 1/2 cup spinach in each bowl. Top with 1/4 of the pasta. Top each mound of pasta with a piece of salmon. Serve immediately.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by sdbab on 18th January 2008
  • This sounds really great, I've just printed it out! We love salmon, but need new ideas - thank you!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 18th January 2008
  • This sounds delicious! My husband doesn't eat fish, but I'm going to make it anyway... more salmon for me!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 18th January 2008
  • Hi,

I am still obsessing that your husband made it! VERY NICE! I have never recceved a meal like that in 8 years..unless we are at a restaurant.

Thanks for sharing - I am always up for Salmon. Maybe I will make it tonight.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by on 18th January 2008
  • I am lucky He does do a good amount of cooking, espcially because he's been working from home lately, so now I can hang out with our son when I get home rather than getting right to cooking dinner. Plus, he loves Giada on the food network, so anything she makes he is up for trying!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by sdbab on 18th January 2008
  • Oh that sounds really good, I must try it.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Melody on 18th January 2008
  • I've never actually tried salmon except at Red Lobster. I tried a bite of my mom's. I tried to make it from fresh and I guess I didn't have a good recipe. It wasn't very good. So I'll try this one and see if I like it. Thanks for the recipe.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Christy on 19th January 2008
  • hahahaa sdbab my hubby complains when i watch food tv - unless it's Giada! hrm.. wonder why? ;) or nigela.. likes her too!

maybe i will have to actually try the recipees once in a while!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 23rd January 2008

Add a Reply