Group Discussions

Going to the gym when sick

Subscribe
  • What's the general wisdom - when you have a cold, do you still make it to the gym or exercise? Or are you supposed to let your immune system chill out and have more energy?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 23rd January 2008
  • I would stay home out of courtesy for others. Heck, I wouldn't want someone sick to be all over the machines before I got there. Those machines are gross enough!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by SpokaneMama on 23rd January 2008
  • Always work out if you have a common cold. Just dont get everyone else sick by getting your mucus all over the machines / equipment.

Your cold will probably be, milder or a few days shorter and the usual post cold-phlegm will be a non-issue for you. (Another trick-when you first notice the symptoms take Vitamin C every 4 hours (200 mg).

Remember-you are contagious for 72 hours prior to the cold symptoms showing up.

Never work out with a fever.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 23rd January 2008
  • SpokaneMama -- it's a totally legit point, but I always wipe down the equipment, whether sick or not -- and only wish others would do the same.

Uhura -- I did make it to the gym this am. I did a much lighter workout, but you know, I don't feel any worse and perhaps even a bit better.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 23rd January 2008
  • I have a hard enough time making it to the gym when I'm well, so my hat is totally off to you for dragging yourself in and working out while you're sick!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 23rd January 2008
  • Nataly-I would do the same work out if you are able-believe me....you will not regret it. With the common cold (fever free), it's the best thing for you.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Uhura on 23rd January 2008
  • Unless I have a respritory problem (which makes working out terrible since I can't breath) or a fever, I try to work out. It makes me feel better even if only for a little bit.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by The Tattooed Mommie on 1st February 2008

Add a Reply