Group Discussions

Email Balance

Subscribe
  • I am in serious need of email intervention! I have several accounts and several places I access these emails (some on servers for certain clients, some come right to my outlook, some to my Thunderbird, some are web-only). How am I supposed to manage them all?!!? I spent an hour today cleaning up just my Outlook b/c it had old and redundant and junk email that I hadn't done anything with. I've pledged to treat these like snail mail: touch it once and so far (today!) that's working great. But how do I manage all of these other accounts and email files and folders and whatnot? Any advice or insight or commiseration would be great.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 23rd January 2008
  • I have a zillion email accounts. OK, really, I just have... 5. Which is close to a zillion.

But they're each for different things, so that makes them all much easier to manage. One of them is purely for online spam-generator-y things, so I rarely have to reply to anything in it -- it cuts down on the sheer amount of garbage that would otherwise go into my main email accounts.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 23rd January 2008
  • Ok, I am just going to come out and say that I have no email balance. I have just a few accounts -- but I just can't keep them closed. I don't do the very smart thing of checking your email on a schedule or only at certain times -- but boy, I really want to try
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 23rd January 2008
  • Glad you girls are in the same boat and it def. made me smile. I need one email deposit box where I can get everything and keep it all organized there. One that my husband would approve of! I mean, a free one he would approve of. Everything he recommends costs some serious dough.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 24th January 2008
  • I think that with Gmail you can have all of your other accounts forward themselves to your gmail account. I'd need to check to be sure, though. At the very least, it's free...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 24th January 2008
  • I use MS Exchange and have all my accounts managed through it. Reason being is that I have a Palm Treo with MS Windows mobile and it doesn't mesh with my baby (MacBook Pro). I even have 2 Exchange accounts coming into my inbox - one for me and one for one of my clients who I need to manager her calendar for.

I currently have 6 accounts but used to have more. One for home, one for each of my websites and the rest for my clients.

I would recommend looking at Thunderbird if you are only looking for email management and as for email balance.... let me know if you figure it out!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kylie Short on 26th January 2008
  • Thanks, Kylie. I've just started using Thunderbird b/c I'm also always bouncing around between 2 and sometimes 4 computers so I now carry my little usb stick and use Thunderbird portable. I just need to figure out how to utilize it better.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 28th January 2008
  • The author of one the blogs I read has a book called "Bit Literacy." Which is all about how to manage all the bits of information that cross your path. It deals extensively with email. I haven't read it, but I've heard really good things about it.

http://bitliteracy.com/
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenns on 29th January 2008

Add a Reply