Group Discussions

Does this get on your nerves too?

Subscribe
  • Just venting here! Does this just happen at my office, or do you work with these people too?

- Can't wait for an answer on something. Won't leave a message for the person who KNOWS the answer. Calls YOU with their question because the person they need "isn't answering their phone" (because they're on another call or away from their desk) and they need an answer NOW, so they're calling YOU even though YOU don't have the information.

I think some people were not taught patience as children...

- Coworkers (including your boss) who talk to you about a development as if you've discussed it with them before, when you have no idea what they're referring to?

I swear some people must have imaginary conversations with me...

I was thinking of a third one, but I've griped enough for now. It's someone else's turn!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 30th January 2008
  • LOL i have SO had that happen!! all the time! i have about 6 projects i am workign on and some have the same people or same names and often times my boss and i jump from one to the other in a conversation - and often times have to stop to clarify because we are both on totally different subjects!!!

sometimes i think it's just the craziness at work.

my rant for the day: people who ask and ask and ask and get and get and get - and never seem satisfied or even say 'thank you, i really appreciate all your work with xyz on such short notice' or whatever. frustraiting! even though you KNOW they are nice and have a million things going on. so do i! but your day is so much less stressful if you stop and thank others for making it easier. i think people forget!

as for the email/phonecall/im people who can't get in touch with the people they actually need. why do peopel not update their VM when they are going to be out for a long time? i mean, one day, ok, a week or more TELL PEOPLE ON YOUR VOICEMAIL! and maybe tell them who to contact in your absense... it helps, really... then they dont bug me
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 30th January 2008
  • Oh, yes! I can so relate to every example given so far on this topic.

My rant is this -- person A calls me with something they need from me ASAP. I stop everything I'm doing so I can get this to them within required period of time. A few days later I need something ASAP from same person A. Three weeks later I'm still waiting......
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mel on 30th January 2008
  • Florinda - you just brought back so many memories of my last office The big cahuna boss there had absolutely no memory of any kind -- I don't think it was a medical thing, he just chose to not remember. So he would do this all the time -- come into my office and start talking to me about something as if we've been talking about it for ages. When I would eventually stop him and tell him that I have NO idea what he is talking about, he would tell me that I must have forgotten. And this would happen 10x a day
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 30th January 2008
  • Oooh. My fav peeve is when you leave a voicemail answering someone's query and they don't bother to listen, but just hit redial, call you back, and have you explain for the second time because it was easier for them. Argh!!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Diane on 31st January 2008
  • Diane - LOL You've just described my brother! He also does this: calls and leaves a message that says only, "Hi, this is Bill. Give me a call when you can, will you?" You know what? I KNOW you called. That's why I have call display (and he KNOWS I do). The message machine is so that you can, you know, leave a message!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by MaryP on 31st January 2008
  • I have this happen to me 20x a day EVERY day. I work in a medical office. My docotor is only in the office 2-3 days a week. The other days when he's @ the hospital, I have time to actually answer the phone when it rings. Well on those days he's in the office, we are seeing patients every 15 min. all day long and I don't have time to deal with anything but those patients in the office. Patients will call the receptionist and DEMAND to speak with me IMMEDIATELY or they will call 10 times and leave the same message "this is so and so, I have called all day long and this my 4th message. can someone PLEASE call me back!" And when I do get on the phone, it's regarding an appointment, or a medication refill, or something trivial that can wait until the end of the day. It's extremely frustrating to have to take care of something like that in the midst of chaos.

Then I have the people that call with a problem and when it is serious enough for me to suggest they go to the ER, they say "Well i really don't want to go to the hospital, can't I just come in to see the doctor today?" Well since the doc is only in 2 days a week, it might be another 3days before you can come in, and that's only if I don't already have 15-20 patients scheduled for the same day! I actually had one woman yell at me over the phone because I did not have an appointment for her husband for another week. She said "Well what is he supposed to do if he has a heart attack!"...... well i hope if he is having a heart attack, he would rather be in a HOSPITAL instead of an OFFICE where he would probably end up in worse shape. working in the medical field is tough and most people don't understand the inner working's of how an office works.

Sorry... lots of venting going on here, but I know exactly what you mean by phone and message frustrations.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by babs on 2nd February 2008
  • I dont feel so Alone. I have experienced all of the above sometime or another. At work and in personal settings. I too hate it when either I have told someone something of importance and the other HAS no memory of it, & then they bring something up that they swear they told me, but had not.

Must be the human nature to priorituze our memories.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kimberlylangert on 6th February 2008

Add a Reply