Group Discussions

I can't believe that I have to give THAT up...

Subscribe
  • Not breastfeeding...I'm not giving that up, but I do have to give up chocolate. I guess I overdid it over the holidays. My little one started breaking out in hives a few days after the holidays were over. I couldn't figure it out for a long time, but finally I went down to a very simple diet, and then added in the things that I thought it might be one at a time. I have to admit that this has been really really tough the past few weeks. It's definitely a sacrifice that's worth it, but I'm definitely missing my desserts! Just had to share
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 1st February 2008
  • Mamjama, you're a good mamajama. It's that baby that's bad. Just kidding! You're so good to look into what it takes to keep it up.

When my baby turned 6 months she started vomiting all of the time. It didn't matter if it was food from my or formula. It was so hard to deal with. Then, one day, she outgrew it. Ahhhh, a relief. But it was really hard in the meantime. Now she's almost 21 months and will eat any and everything. Those days of projectile vomiting are almost forgotten!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 1st February 2008
  • Oh my gosh. That would freak me out (at least at first). That must have been some major cleaning up that you had to do. Did you ever figure out what was causing it?

It's really good to hear that they do outgrow these things. I want to continue nursing for quite a while, and so I am hoping that I won't have to be so careful that entire time. At least chocolate isn't an ingredient that is hidden in everything like wheat, or milk, or eggs. I think that would be really really tough.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 1st February 2008
  • Oh, I'm sooooo sorry. Definitely a worthwhile reason, but giving up chocolate is rough. But look at this as an opportunity to explore all those other non-chocolate desserts. I'm sure there's one or two out there.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenns on 2nd February 2008
  • My 4 month old starting breaking out in a nasty rash and had the worst eczema about a month ago. I had to go on a total elimination diet. So far, we've determined that he's definitely highly allergic to milk-protein and wheat.

Today I added back eggs. I'm waiting to see how he'll do. I'm praying for no rash in the morning. If that goes ok, I'm heavily debating what food to add back next. Foods in the front running: pork and soy. Wierd choices, but there are only two meats I can eat right now (chicken and turkey), and without dairy, I'd really like to be able to use soy as a substitute.

-Kristie
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kristie McNealy on 2nd February 2008
  • I was borderline gestational dibetes becuase of my weight, with my son and so I was VERY cautious about what I ate (I actually lost 17 pounds being pregnant because I was so good about what I ate, I wrote down everything which made me think twice about if I really wanted it-great diet idea)

After he was born I decided to treat myself and had chocolate everyday after lunch - OH MY the gas he got! I was a new mom and did not realize the caffine in chocolate or that it caused gas like broccoli! I switched to carmel for a treat and it resolved the evening screams from gas . . . try & find a new indulgence that you can both live with good luck
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Pammy on 2nd February 2008
  • I have taken your advice Pammy, and I just found a great alternative. They are these really yummy peanutbutter cookies with vanilla icecream. I'm definitely not going through withdrawals anymore, but I still do miss the chocolate sometimes. nicu101, I can't believe I'm even complaining about giving up chocolate when you are having to really sacrifice. Have you found any other foods that he's sensitive to?
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by mamajama on 11th February 2008

Add a Reply