Group Discussions

productivity boster needed!

Subscribe
  • so i am swamped and a tad overwhelmed with work at the moment and find that i keep squeezing in my addictions ANYWAY! (ahem, WIM)

but then i feel guilty for working late. tell me that these much needed mental breaks are actually making me more productive... please? because i think tonight is going to be another late one...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 7th February 2008
  • Those mental breaks are MUCH NEEDED and will make you MORE PRODUCTIVE in the long run.

Those mental breaks are MUCH NEEDED and will make you MORE PRODUCTIVE in the long run.

Those mental breaks are MUCH NEEDED and will make you MORE PRODUCTIVE in the long run.

Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 7th February 2008
  • Kate - I have so been there. In fact, I was there for most of last year. I'm still there to some extent, but not quite as much.

But yes - Those mental breaks are MUCH NEEDED and will make you MORE PRODUCTIVE in the long run. Because burnout is no fun at all.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Florinda Pendley Vasquez on 7th February 2008
  • I´m facing the exact same problem right now! I find that my brain simply isn´t functional (as sleep deprived as it is) without frequent distractions. They could be LESS frequent, but they are definitely something that has to be done.

A trick that a friend of mine taught me was to do each thing for five minutes, setting a timer. At the end of five minutes, even if you are in the middle of writing a word, stop and switch to another activity (like reading discussions here) for five minutes. After that, move up to ten minutes, then 15, etc. If you have to stop and take a break, start again at five minutes. Knowing that you only have a few minutes to do something really gets you in the work mode.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Genesis on 7th February 2008
  • Somebody very wise once told me to give myself what I needed on the front end because I would end up taking it anyway, but perhaps not in the best way. If you need to take the breaks you need to take the breaks, so plan ahead and GIVE them to yourself. Then you'll enjoy them more, they'll be purposeful, less inconvenient, and you won't feel so guilty.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Jenns on 8th February 2008
  • oh you are all brilliant! especially when you say excactly what i want to hear LOL

i realized the guit was worse than the breaks! so now i dont feel guilty (maybe it's the 12-15 hour days of late?)

Lylah! i love that you made Florinda's words into a mantra i should probably print and put on my cube wall LOL
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 8th February 2008
  • OMG, Lylah, you crack me up. Kate, I hope you throw out the guilt. It would be bad if you were letting everything slide. Better WIM and your google reader than running out to the bar on the corner for a break. I think...
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 8th February 2008
  • ROFL! i think running out to the corner for a break sounds better!! actually, today i DID sorta - only it was a Starbucks not a bar ;)

btw, i had forgotten how much i love soy milk. got a grande soy caramel mocha (i know SUGAR HIGH!) and it was:

MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... happiness....
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Kate on 8th February 2008

Add a Reply