Group Discussions

Has anyone's baby ever tested for strep?

Subscribe
  • Have any of you had a baby that had strep. When my son was 10 months he tested positive for strep at an after hour clinic. I'd asked my pediatrician to test him a few days before, but he said babies couldn't get strep. because I knew something was wrong, I checked on line and discovered my sons symptoms--vomitting, green snotty nose, etc. (babies don't have traditional symptoms) fit strep. All the moms on the website had noted their doctor said the same thing: babies cant get strep--some were even at the point their babies were immediately hospitalized for the mistake. When I confronted my pediatrician and said my child had a positive test--he still didn't believe me! I have since left that pediatrician and insist my baby is tested whenever necessary. There seems to be two very different beliefs about this in the pediatric world.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Susan on 7th March 2008
  • My daughter was once tested when she was a bit more than a year old -- it turned out negative, but they definitely tested her. Good for you for insisting!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Nataly on 7th March 2008
  • You know your baby best -- always go with your gut. In the hospital after having O., one nurse insisted to me that newborns were incapable of sweating and of crying actual tears while I was standing in front of her, holding my sweaty, eyes-streaming, squawking baby... so, many MOST babies don't get strep, but that doesn't mean yours didn't!
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Lylah M. Alphonse on 7th March 2008
  • Good for you for listening to what your child needed!! I'm with Lylah in that I had a horrible nurse experience after giving birth and I almost asked for a new nurse. We have to trust our doctors and nurses but they have to trust us, too. I truly believe this. Our pedi and I took some time to get to know each other and trust each other and I'm so glad we did. But that's not always the case. Be glad that you knew to have your daughter checked and to move on.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Mandy Nelson - Dandysound on 7th March 2008
  • believe it or not, I trusted this doctor fully prior to this. That is why it is so upsetting. He used to say to me, we rely more on what the parents say when their kids are sick, because they know their kids best. then all of a sudden after 7 years he does this. AND my child was at a wellness visit when I brought him in with strep and a crappy nose. He received a fulll bill of health!

I only knew to check for strep because my older daughter had recently had it.
    Flag as inappropriate Posted by Susan on 7th March 2008

Add a Reply